Why become a member? ×

Should I be excited, or vultures circling (eBay content)

oldslapper

I just put in the maximum I’d like to pay when I see something and let god take care of the rest. Normally I lose and end up buying it elsewhere cheaper. Ho hum. Occasionally it works but I don’t stress about it.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, neepheid said:

Any time I'm in for something on eBay, you bet I'm there in person during the last 5 mins and my bid will be going in with circa 5 secs to go. You're just lucky that our paths haven't crossed yet ;)

Also, in my experience for most things I'm trying to buy on eBay, the last few seconds are sniper alley. So believe what you will, I have experienced the rush of bids in the last few seconds many times, it's not a fairy story.

I can't believe Ebay haven't taken the lead from TradeMe on the last second thing.

On TM if a bid comes in with less than 2 minutes to close another 2 minutes is added, and added, and added... You are getting the 2nd best price most of the time. There is no advantage to sniping the following 2 minute extensions.

2 minutes is just about long enough for an outbid person to get the email ping and log back into TB for another dab. So I often snipe the original closing in case they might be a bit slow to react. Most people aren't quite as disciplined as Ped.

Edited by Downunderwonder
  • Like 2

An interesting idea I read somewhere a while ago suggested that if eBay extended the auction for a couple of minutes from the last bid before the end time and for every subsequent bid after that, it would prevent last minute sniping and allow the seller to achieve the best possible price. This how live auctions work and the bidding keeps going until everyone has really reached their maximum. That seems like it would be much fairer to me.

Edit: only just seen the previous post and now see this idea has been mentioned. I hadn’t realised the thread had spilled over to a new page before replying.  😉

Edited by Velarian