Jump to content

New Amp Recommendations?


Linus27

Recommended Posts

So just a little update. Popped into Andertons and was chatting bass to the guy there and we got on the the subject of clean bass amps etc. He immediately recommended I try an Aguilar Tone Hammer as he said it was super clean. It was set up through an Aguilar 212 and oh my, what a sound. At first I tried it with a Warwick Adam Clayton Streamer which I must say, sounded and played amazing. Not being sure if it was the bass or the rig, I then tried it with a Fender 75th Anniversary Jazz and this also sounded amazing. Not as good as the Warwick but they were both bright and punchy and I could dial a really nice tone into the amp. 

 

He also recommended the Genzler Magellan which he said is a very clean sounding amp so it seems like you lot are totally on the money. The Aguilar however was amazing and even the cab being a 212, it wasn't huge. 

 

So I think a Aguilar Tone Hammer may be on the card and possibly swapping the Barefaced for an Aguilar SL212 if I need to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

So just a little update. Popped into Andertons and was chatting bass to the guy there and we got on the the subject of clean bass amps etc. He immediately recommended I try an Aguilar Tone Hammer as he said it was super clean. It was set up through an Aguilar 212 and oh my, what a sound. At first I tried it with a Warwick Adam Clayton Streamer which I must say, sounded and played amazing. Not being sure if it was the bass or the rig, I then tried it with a Fender 75th Anniversary Jazz and this also sounded amazing. Not as good as the Warwick but they were both bright and punchy and I could dial a really nice tone into the amp. 

 

He also recommended the Genzler Magellan which he said is a very clean sounding amp so it seems like you lot are totally on the money. The Aguilar however was amazing and even the cab being a 212, it wasn't huge. 

 

So I think a Aguilar Tone Hammer may be on the card and possibly swapping the Barefaced for an Aguilar SL212 if I need to.

 

Interesting! When I bought my Magellan a couple of years back I tried a few other amps including the Tone Hammer and to my ear I found the TH wasn't totally clear, it had a certain warmth to it that wasn't bad in any way but just never really made it sound totally clean to me. Maybe it was the cab that I tried it with which was an Aguilar 1x12. I found the TH didn't seem to go too bright either when pushing the treble. The Magellan delivered a more appealing clean - to me at least - although I tried that through my own Tecamp 2x12 cab so it wasn't a direct comparison where the only variable was the amp. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Osiris said:

 

Interesting! When I bought my Magellan a couple of years back I tried a few other amps including the Tone Hammer and to my ear I found the TH wasn't totally clear, it had a certain warmth to it that wasn't bad in any way but just never really made it sound totally clean to me. Maybe it was the cab that I tried it with which was an Aguilar 1x12. I found the TH didn't seem to go too bright either when pushing the treble. The Magellan delivered a more appealing clean - to me at least - although I tried that through my own Tecamp 2x12 cab so it wasn't a direct comparison where the only variable was the amp. 

So its not totally representative as it was just in the bass room in the shop but I actually boosted the bass on the Tone Hammer to about 2, cut the low mid to 11 and turned the drive to about 10 and it sounded really nice. Running everything flat I found it a little bright so that may be because of the Aguilar cab. It would be nice to try a Magellan as well as a comparison. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, taunton-hobbit said:

If weight & 'clean' are important, I'd keep the BF & go for a decent class D amp -

I've used Crown, but sold mine on, I like my valve distortion/heft too much ...

 

😎

This is going to be the plan, try a different amp head first and see how I get on.

Edited by Linus27
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Linus27 said:

So just a little update. Popped into Andertons and was chatting bass to the guy there and we got on the the subject of clean bass amps etc. He immediately recommended I try an Aguilar Tone Hammer as he said it was super clean. It was set up through an Aguilar 212 and oh my, what a sound. At first I tried it with a Warwick Adam Clayton Streamer which I must say, sounded and played amazing. Not being sure if it was the bass or the rig, I then tried it with a Fender 75th Anniversary Jazz and this also sounded amazing. Not as good as the Warwick but they were both bright and punchy and I could dial a really nice tone into the amp. 

 

He also recommended the Genzler Magellan which he said is a very clean sounding amp so it seems like you lot are totally on the money. The Aguilar however was amazing and even the cab being a 212, it wasn't huge. 

 

So I think a Aguilar Tone Hammer may be on the card and possibly swapping the Barefaced for an Aguilar SL212 if I need to.


Cool, always best to try before you buy. Though IMO I’d still suggest that the Aguilar isn’t a clean/transparent amp. It’s a very, very good one, but the Magellan is the cleaner of the two. 
 

This is all part of the fun though, finding what sounds best to your ears and how it pairs with your bass. Looks like you have some very good options on the shortlist. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Linus27 said:

Popped into Andertons and was chatting bass to the guy there and we got on the the subject of clean bass amps etc. He immediately recommended I try an Aguilar Tone Hammer as he said it was super clean.

 

I'm a little surprised at that recommendation. If you want an Aguilar, the AG700 is the clean one. The THs are excellent amps, but they are voiced to sound thick/old school.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

 

I'm a little surprised at that recommendation. If you want an Aguilar, the AG700 is the clean one. The THs are excellent amps, but they are voiced to sound thick/old school.

To be fair, he did say the AG is even cleaner, then mentioned the Megellan as another option but said the TH is a cleaner than a lot of other amp heads.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...