Why become a member? ×

pre-amp

carlitos71

Hi all, I have a warwick streamer stage II about 15 years old and the pre-amp has been playing up lately, a friend suggested that pre-amp might need changing... any suggestions on what should I do? and what pre-amp you reccomend? Is a great bass so would like a more than decent pre-amp

Thanks!

C

Could just be dirty pots / dodgy solder joints -- why not get it checked by a tech before spending big bucks?

If your heart is set on a new pre then another MEC one from Warwick?

The ACG/East EQ02 is getting a lot of love around here too (I'm thinking of one for my 'vette)

+1 on checking the battery, if you haven't already
+1 on taking it to a tech to have it checked out
If it does need a new preamp, then the world is your oyster... MEC or ACG/East or East Retro or EMG or Bartolini or Schack...

[quote name='carlitos71' post='452247' date='Apr 2 2009, 10:13 AM']Hi all, I have a warwick streamer stage II about 15 years old and the pre-amp has been playing up lately, a friend suggested that pre-amp might need changing... any suggestions on what should I do? and what pre-amp you reccomend? Is a great bass so would like a more than decent pre-amp

Thanks!

C[/quote]

Hi,
I have also a bit of a problem with my pre-amp on my Streamer PRO M...
Actually for me it is indeed a problem since this series of basses are courrently discontinued, and I can't order the same MEC pre-amp :)
with a SS II it's simple...just order the pre and it's like new :rolleyes:

F.

Edited by DrVet

First suggestion is change the jack socket....then get a tech to check the wiring/circuit board. Its probably a component or solder joint but these can be hard to track down.

I had a problem with a SI and decided to change to preamp for an Aguilar rather than mess around. It was an improvement over the MEC unit. The John East stuff would be great, and also the Bartolini preamps (although this seems to be out of fashion these days?).

Thanks for the advice so far guys.

I am torn between:

- replacing it with MEC (http://shop.warwick.de/product_info.php/info/p517_2-way-electronic-for-active-Pickups-M-60004.html). Is a like for like, comes all wired, and seems quite straighforward, cost is 168 eu

- replacing with aguilar (http://www.bassmerchant.com/item_detail.php?product_id=82&category_id=5). Seems a bit more complciated, and wont be able to use pull push volume feature on my bass, however people suggest it offers a better sounds and is cheaper, £79

any suggestions? Shall I consider another option? For me sounds quality is priority...

Thanks!

Edited by carlitos71

Can you be more specific on the problem?
Is it distorting, cutting out, crackling, going quiet, what?
There is a wealth of experience on here. The more info you post, the better quality replies you'll get.
I doubt there is much in a pre-amp that can't be fixed, but it does sound a bit like you fancy a change anyway.
Best of luck!
Jules

Well basically the problem is that sometimes work but most of the time doesnt, when pull volume out (to turn on preamp) it start making a horrible noise like crackling or kind of distorted people clapping noise

I am planning to record soon and would like to sort before then

Also if you know a tech/repair reliable person in the west, north west part of london would consider take to them

Thanks again!

Edited by carlitos71