Why become a member? ×

Positive story about a courier

uk_lefty

Not an early April Fool...

As some of you may know I have been cursed when trying to sell a particular bass. I've had offers from credible people who disappear in to thin air as soon as it's time for payment, I've sold it posted it spent the proceeds on a new bass and then found its lost in DPDs system only to appear a month later and after a refund with the original buyer who nicked the knobs off it and sent it back....

Anyhow, I discounted it to below the amount of money the bass and all its new parts and work cost me and sold it to a nice chap in Scotland. I found UPS via a parcel price comparison company but went direct to them for the order having had only bad experiences with intermediary companies booking the courier if things go wrong. So UPS collects from me on Monday and yesterday notified me they had delivered. Then late evening the buyer notified me he hasn't had the parcel. Panic. Here we go again. I called UPS and a helpful person sent me the confirmation of delivery, copy of signature and promised the depot would call me within an hour.

Just over an hour later I got a voicemail from a lovely lady at ups who had tracked the drivers route, spoken to him and got a full description of where he delivered the package. I phoned the buyer, relayed the info, then phoned UPS back and said "wrong delivery address" to which they said "ok, we will send a driver back out right now to get the package!". This morning the package is with the buyer.

Ok, the driver should not have gone to the wrong address and left the parcel there, but what impressed me was not only being able to talk to an actual person, not just an actual person who actually cared, but an actual person who cared AND immediately had a plan to do something about it. It all sounds so simple, but I've never had that from a courier company before.

I know a lot will have horror stories from ups but in the Glasgow area at least they seem to have some good eggs working there. 

• Like 6

I have had nothing but good service from UPS since moving to Scotland. I have had quite a few deliveries from the company I bought blinds for the new house from and UPS have been the carrier each time. Tracking has been good, updates the same and the driver for our area is a very pleasant chap. Having delivered to us and others in our close, several times, we have got to know him and always get a friendly wave when we see him delivering around town. It’s good to know the communications centre is equally good. However, Hermes are the same, if not worse than at my previous address.

My wife has done a lot of deliveries and has had problems with all couriers. UPS are in the better group, although not as good as DPD but unfortunately as she does most of the shipping it is hard to deal with UPS as our normal delivery driver is a massive raccist so my wife won't deal with him, so it is not often we use them (and tend to avoid people who do use them).

I have never actually had problems sending / recieving a bass, but then the only one I did was hermes.