Why become a member? ×

amp faulty or bass

soulstar89

hi,

im a novice and would like some advice.  I have a squirer affinity P bass 2008 and a stagg 20Ba amp combo. The issue i am having is that i hear no difference when i use the tone knob on the bass. the amp is set flat so bass, treble and mids are at 12 o'clock. The amp does distort sometimes in a way where maybe the bass is to much. if i lower the bass knob nothing changes. whatever configuration i try the tone sounds exactly the same.

I recently got my bass fixed as the jack wire had come loose. he also cleaned the pots as they was making a crackling sound. all on that side is good. 

i presume the first protocol would be to try bass and amp with different leads, basses and amps.  

If the tone knob makes no difference to the sound at all then perhaps whoever serviced your bass recently accidentally damaged the loom rendering that pot defunct. 

If you've got an alternative bass and amp then do as you've suggested and try all the combinations to work out if another bass has the same issue through that amp or if your squier has the same issue through another amp. If you don't have another bass or amp, perhaps take your gear to a local music store and ask them if you can test one of their basses/amps to troubleshoot the cause. If you call ahead I'm sure they'd be happy to help! Though you might get roped into buying a new amp or bass! 

Edited by binky_bass
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

How about if you lower the master volume before playing with the bass knob?

hey thanks for responding.

i just lowered the master volume to 9 o'clock. I had all the my knobs on bass off  when i increased the tone and volume no difference. 

10 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

If the tone knob makes no difference to the sound at all then perhaps whoever serviced your bass recently accidentally damaged the loom rendering that pot defunct. 

If you've got an alternative bass and amp then do as you've suggested and try all the combinations to work out if another bass has the same issue through that amp or if your squier has the same issue through another amp. If you don't have another bass or amp, perhaps take your gear to a local music store and ask them if you can test one of their basses/amps to troubleshoot the cause. If you call ahead I'm sure they'd be happy to help! Though you might get roped into buying a new amp or bass! 

cheers for advise 

27 minutes ago, soulstar89 said:

hey thanks for responding.

i just lowered the master volume to 9 o'clock. I had all the my knobs on bass off  when i increased the tone and volume no difference. 

I think you are saying you started with the instrument controls turned off. This is confusing because that should mean there would be no sound at all from the amp. If there was sound from the amp and turning up the instrument controls made no difference then clearly your instrument wiring is fully shagged!

Do clarify.

2 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

I think you are saying you started with the instrument controls turned off. This is confusing because that should mean there would be no sound at all from the amp. If there was sound from the amp and turning up the instrument controls made no difference then clearly your instrument wiring is fully shagged!

Do clarify.

Just got back from the luthier near me who fixed my jack port. Its not the bass as we tried with different amps and cords. The tone knob works. New amp it is then. Thanks alot for the helpful input 

8 minutes ago, soulstar89 said:

Just got back from the luthier near me who fixed my jack port. Its not the bass as we tried with different amps and cords. The tone knob works. New amp it is then. Thanks alot for the helpful input 

Nothing adds up. I guess it doesn't matter but I would seek out another bass and cable to try with the amp just to be sure.

28 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

Nothing adds up. I guess it doesn't matter but I would seek out another bass and cable to try with the amp just to be sure.

i didn't answer the question sorry. I had the amp master volume at 9 o'clock with the bass control in the off position. no sound would come out of amp. When i increased the bass volume the amp transmitted sound  when i adjusted the tone knob no sound difference could be heard (treble on and off)

15 hours ago, soulstar89 said:

i didn't answer the question sorry. I had the amp master volume at 9 o'clock with the bass control in the off position. no sound would come out of amp. When i increased the bass volume the amp transmitted sound  when i adjusted the tone knob no sound difference could be heard (treble on and off)

Did you take your cable with the bass to test at the shop?