Why become a member? ×

In between notes

lownote

A bit of random observation: and NOT a music theorist!

Even though I played double bass and trombone in high school band, my first electric bass was fretted, and when I got a hold of a frettless Precision my first rock band rehearsal (w/ horn section) was HORRIBLE...until about the second set, when my ears started to "tune in" (and started to not look at the fretboard, which only had side dots and no fret-lines anyway, but was STILL throwing me off).

The Chapman Stick is a beach to play w/ others sometimes because with 10 or 12 strings ranging 5 1/2 octaves even when I get it "in tune" for the majority of the fretboard, if the guitarist is out-of-tune even slightly (no guitarist jokes), the Stick will sound "out", or low notes will be hard to discern.

Dave Fiucznski of Screaming Headless Torsos is the reason I had my Ironwood Stick's frets removed. Big mistake in hindsight - not because of the difficulty of playing double-stops and triads in tune (don't get me wrong, it's ridiculous) but because tapping an unwound string is hard to hear because it doesn't have a fret to articulate the attack. But it is a cool modification just the same.

Many beginner Stick players have "learning curve" for playing in tune because the string are lower tension, the frets are high, and you may "tap and hold" too hard, or not tap right behind the fret.

All the previous observations about a sharp note sharper and a flat note flatter, especially in the blues... 

A harmonic plucked and slid up or down is one of the coolest sounds ever heard!

• Like 1

Oh yeah. Also, I have 2 Sticks the second one is the Dual Bass Reciprocal 12-string. So when I got that I traded in my Pedulla 5-string fretless for a powered loudspeaker & had no basses. I missed fretless, so had the frets removed from the Ironwood Stick...and found out that wasn't the solution...

Found a Hartke Bass guitar in "as is condition" for $30US w/ a straight neck so pulled the frets out of it.

Blah,blah,blah fretless is fun.

• Like 1