Why become a member? ×

Ashdown ABM Pro Neo Cabs - Anyone used them?

alexa3020

Sadly I’ve not used mine in a band situation yet, but at home volumes my impressions are they sound pretty much like the regular ABM cabs, maybe a little tighter sounding, as I did find that my ABM410 had a fair amount of low end. This could be due to a few factors such as sealed v ported or just due to size of the cabs themselves. I’ll have to take them to band practice at some point but as the rehearsal room has an 810 in it that does make life easier and influences my natural laziness. 

I used mine at rehearsals in a large hall so I could play fairly loud 

For a small 210 cab ( about the size of a 12” guitar 112 cab ) they perform well but I think for gigging you will need both cabs ( I use two )

For practice in a medium or small room one cab does just fine ( we play 90’s rock to modern rock and a bit of R & B )

Previously I had the Ampeg PF115LF cab which was heavy but very deep sounding and felt it could take more of a pounding ! 

I decided like most that lighter is the way forward 

I would describe the sound as punchy and low to high mids focused ( I turn the horn off ) 

Probably not the cab for Reggae bass etc ) but everything else I think they are fine 

I play fingers ( PBass ) and Pick 

Annoying fact is the cab top handle means I have to put a rubber mat on the top so my RM800 doesn’t slip into the handle recess. 
I believe the RM500 has feet spaced further apart as does my Orange Little Bass Thing head. 

For the money they seem a good cab 

Edited by BassAdder27

Thanks Guys. I didn't realize the Pro Neos were sealed - I guess that will have an effect on volume?

Just to give you a bit of context, I picked up 2  second hand 15" Evo 2 compact cabs, which to my ears are excellent - real trouser flapping bass. However they are not fitted with a horn and I'm wondering whether to replace one of the cabs for  Ashdown EVO IV 15" cab with a horn. If so, should I get the Pro Neos or Standards

To be fair the top end that I want is there at the moment with fresh strings - but might diminish as the strings deaden.

I'm thinking that the current heavy ABM 115 might be the way to go - its not super heavy anyway. Or I just stick with what I've got. Perhaps the old Evo 2 cabs without a horn were tuned slightly differently because there was no horn.

Edited by alexa3020

I like them for convenience in weight and size but do wish they were a little larger with more depth to the sound but it’s a trade off in cabinet size compared to weight 

I think for me the ABM standard Compact cabs ( ported ) would of been better but it’s hard to tell 

Thanks for the advice. Yes PMT is an option, although I never really find you get a true idea of how they're going to sound until your in band environment, but given that I know what it roughly sounds like already, I can get an idea of how much the horn opens the sound up.

I think I'm leaning more towards the heavier cab. I have done the lightweight thing, but in all honesty I'm not too fussed when gigging. There's usually a load of stuff like PA to load in, so a slightly heavier bass cab is not the be all and end all. as long as its not a heavy 410 or above then its usually not too much of a problem. It does annoy me carrying heavy stuff to practice, but my practice room provides a rig.

15 minutes ago, BassAdder27 said:

I don’t think the horn adds too much apart from very high treble and hiss 

If you are a slap bass player your would benefit but if not I wouldn’t say it’s needed 

Might be best to stick with what I've got then. It does seem like my stingray is has all the highs it'll need. My P bass could do with a boost in the highs occasionally, but that can be achieved with EQ.

16 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I put a set of 75mm castors on my old ABM410 so aside from in/out of car and up stairs it was really easy to move about. Sadly I don’t live in the ground floor and 35kg is too much for me nowadays.

Quite tempted to do the same or get a dolly, so I can move both cabs and head at the same time.

Get a dolly off EBay for about £15 and save screwing into your cab 

No need to worry about rattles coming from your castors when playing 

Plus you can use it for moving other things around too !

Get a bungee strap to keep it in place 

I took my ashdown 210 neo into a shop and compared it with a 210abm. The abm sounded thicker/ low mids compared to the neos more thinner hi mid voice.  Two very different cab designs, and drivers,  so not surprising. The neo is nicer to carry!

• Like 1