Why become a member? ×

Plucking Wrist Bleeding Issues!

AM1

[quote name='AM1' post='449509' date='Mar 30 2009, 02:47 PM']I have tried altering my technique so my hand is not resting against the edge of the bass, but because I don't always rest my thumb on the pickup (I prefer to "float") then if I try to not rest my hand on the bass, I'm holding too much tension in my arm muscles. So a change in technique is probably not the answer at this point in time.

Any ideas would be useful.[/quote]

What are you doing!?! Stick your elbows out from your body. Your hand/arm/wrist should not be resting on the bass - your wrist should be flat and straight, in line with your forearm.

A change in technique is the only answer to damage to your wrists! I had to change my technique in a week after I couldn't move my wrists anymore the next day after a 6 hour gig with an underpowered amp.

Change your technique! Or go back to the Jazz.

[quote name='The Funk' post='449688' date='Mar 30 2009, 05:38 PM']What are you doing!?! Stick your elbows out from your body. Your hand/arm/wrist should not be resting on the bass - your wrist should be flat and straight, in line with your forearm.

A change in technique is the only answer to damage to your wrists! I had to change my technique in a week after I couldn't move my wrists anymore the next day after a 6 hour gig with an underpowered amp.

Change your technique! Or go back to the Jazz.[/quote]

The whole point of the floating thumb variant I have adopted is for economy of motion, you don't have to have chicken wing arms and there is no tension in the muscles, I can keep my wrist very flat against the bass. My wrist is flatter when it rests on the bass than if I hold it off the bass!! I play with the bass low slung so I can angle the neck. Look, this is what works for me. I have no pain in my plucking wrist whatsoever, just the bleeding from friction/sweat against the bass body.

On the jazz, my arm still rested against the body, but my wrist did not make contact with the "edge" of the body.

Thanks for the tips but everyone's ergonomics are different.

EDIT - PS with due respect, playing for 6 hours against the constraints of an underpowered amp and getting pain would suggest letting the amp do the work, not changing technique. I don't fight those fights now, I either tell our guitards to turn down or I crank the daylights out of my own amp and it's louder than theirs anyway. Doubles up nicely as air con when it gets too hot, just turn up the gain and feel that lovely cold air coming out of the cabs! Mehe.

Edited by AM1

you may have mentioned it, i cant remember all the way back to the start of the thread, but is it a different bass that you're using? i had this same trouble when i bought a thunderbird, at first i used a sweat band, which worked, but i ended up selling it (not just ecause of this, but it was one of the many reasons).

[quote name='AM1' post='449679' date='Mar 30 2009, 05:26 PM']I just found a sweatband in with some old gym gear and tried it and no more rubbing.

Long live the sweatband![/quote]

If you include a suitably provocative photo, you might get a few quid for that on ebay.

It's how I got rid of my girlfriends bike saddle.

[quote name='AM1' post='449702' date='Mar 30 2009, 05:44 PM']On the jazz, my arm still rested against the body, but my wrist did not make contact with the "edge" of the body.[/quote]

i've just had a thought, does this bass have sort of a less rounded or kind of sharp edge to it?

mine is cheap, plastic, rounded, and very worn; the last three probably the reason why it's never given me a problem :)

but i would think that if the finish was natural or just a bit rougher, or the edge a bit sharper/in a slightly different place then maybe i might have the same problem.

not suggesting you buy a new bass or anything, just musing...

Had the same problem myself a while back, some good advice here too [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5401&hl=wrist+bleeding"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...=wrist+bleeding[/url]

Don't suffer so much now, probably due to slightly altering my technique, wearing mostly a long sleeve shirt plus playing different style of music :)

Yo!

Yeah it's since I swapped to the FrankenFender, but I love this bass, I think I might marry it soon!

[quote name='LWTAIT' post='449774' date='Mar 30 2009, 06:52 PM']you may have mentioned it, i cant remember all the way back to the start of the thread, but is it a different bass that you're using? i had this same trouble when i bought a thunderbird, at first i used a sweat band, which worked, but i ended up selling it (not just ecause of this, but it was one of the many reasons).[/quote]

[quote name='AM1' post='449702' date='Mar 30 2009, 05:44 PM']EDIT - PS with due respect, playing for 6 hours against the constraints of an underpowered amp and getting pain would suggest letting the amp do the work, not changing technique.[/quote]

There is no set technique for bass guitar. Borrowed flamenco guitar technique is the closest we have. Do whatever works for you. A bleeding wrist suggests your technique isn't working for you. Sometimes these things only come out in extreme circumstances - such as my discovery above. I know you ruled out changing your technique at the beginning. I don't think that's sensible but your wrists are your wrists.

For the benefit of anyone else who might get bleeding wrists and be open to the idea that their technique might be at fault, I don't see how you can play floating thumb technique with your wrist resting against the bass. I don't think I've seen anyone with floating thumb technique have any part of their plucking hand/arm resting against the bass. The bleeding is caused by friction from where the arm comes into contact with the bass - which happens here to be at the wrist. My solution would be to eliminate the friction by stopping having my arm come into contact wit the bass.

A sweatband has prevented the bleeding. Excellent. My osteopath recommended I play with the technique I play with now for the least strain on the muscles in my hands, wrists, forearms, shoulder and back. It doesn't look too stupid either. This way I won't get all the inflammation I was getting before and should avoid RSI, carpal tunnel syndrome etc.

Alright Chief

Man, keep up! You're so behind you're in front.

There's already an auction house to cater for those with, shall we say, eccentric tastes....

Looks right up your street actually....

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='449778' date='Mar 30 2009, 06:57 PM']If you include a suitably provocative photo, you might get a few quid for that on ebay.

It's how I got rid of my girlfriends bike saddle.[/quote]

[quote name='escholl' post='449779' date='Mar 30 2009, 06:57 PM']i've just had a thought, does this bass have sort of a less rounded or kind of sharp edge to it?

mine is cheap, plastic, rounded, and very worn; the last three probably the reason why it's never given me a problem :)

but i would think that if the finish was natural or just a bit rougher, or the edge a bit sharper/in a slightly different place then maybe i might have the same problem.

not suggesting you buy a new bass or anything, just musing...[/quote]

Yo.

Yeah it's a different shape.

[quote name='The Funk' post='449813' date='Mar 30 2009, 07:30 PM']There is no set technique for bass guitar. Borrowed flamenco guitar technique is the closest we have. Do whatever works for you. A bleeding wrist suggests your technique isn't working for you. Sometimes these things only come out in extreme circumstances - such as my discovery above. I know you ruled out changing your technique at the beginning. I don't think that's sensible but your wrists are your wrists.[/quote]

I explained the rationale behind electing not to change my technique - having already experimented with changes. My wrist bleeding is a function of changing basses. It happens commonly with precision players from what I gather.

[quote name='The Funk' post='449813' date='Mar 30 2009, 07:30 PM']For the benefit of anyone else who might get bleeding wrists and be open to the idea that their technique might be at fault, I don't see how you can play floating thumb technique with your wrist resting against the bass. I don't think I've seen anyone with floating thumb technique have any part of their plucking hand/arm resting against the bass. The bleeding is caused by friction from where the arm comes into contact with the bass - which happens here to be at the wrist. My solution would be to eliminate the friction by stopping having my arm come into contact wit the bass.[/quote]

Before I even bought a bass, I went for a few lessons with a professional tutor and the primary gambit was to focus on technique and correct hand positioning. I have a long standing problem with my left wrist and I have made my own decision about how to proceed and it is working very well for me. It is not true floating thumb anyway in the purist sense but a variant of it that I play with, for economy of motion and damping. Again, my personal alterations to ergonomics work for me and switching basses now plus extended playing time just means adapting again. Or a sweatband.

If I said my fingers were blistered and bleeding, would you say use a pick? A bit of tenacity can win the day with a lot of these minor but annoying issues. My right hand technique is perfect for me, I can play for hours and never have any problems with the right hand until I switched from jazz to P, it's just a different shape, no loaded gun here.

[quote name='The Funk' post='449813' date='Mar 30 2009, 07:30 PM']A sweatband has prevented the bleeding. Excellent. My osteopath recommended I play with the technique I play with now for the least strain on the muscles in my hands, wrists, forearms, shoulder and back. It doesn't look too stupid either. This way I won't get all the inflammation I was getting before and should avoid RSI, carpal tunnel syndrome etc.[/quote]

I tend to avoid drawing comparisons with people I have never clapped eyes on, let alone seen their playing technique. I appreciate your comments but my playing technique works well for me and a change of bass should not necessarily mean a big shift in technique. Not commenting on anyone specific here but self-appointed internet gurus with purist ideas of how things should be done, is a rigid mentality that simply does not work for everyone, especially not those who have adapted their own style so they can actually play.

I'm just grateful to be playing music.

[quote name='The Funk' post='449813' date='Mar 30 2009, 07:30 PM']There is no set technique for bass guitar. Borrowed flamenco guitar technique is the closest we have. Do whatever works for you.

[...]

A sweatband has prevented the bleeding. Excellent.[/quote]

[quote name='AM1' post='449831' date='Mar 30 2009, 07:49 PM']Not commenting on anyone specific here but self-appointed internet gurus with purist ideas of how things should be done, is a rigid mentality that simply does not work for everyone, especially not those who have adapted their own style so they can actually play.[/quote]

In between the other stuff, I did try not being a dick. :rolleyes:

I do get that the same things won't necessarily work for everyone. My right shoulder/upper back/collar bone/right forearm are totally messed up from a rugby injury I had when I was younger and the little finger on my left hand broke in two places and didn't heal properly either time, so I've had to adapt and adjust.

When I switched from playing a 4-string Fender Jazz to playing a 5-string Warwick Infinity, I did have to alter my technique so as not to mess up my wrists.

There's a lot of people on these forums with a lot of experience of different aspects of being a bass player. That's what I love about these forums. I especially like the purists - they're so passionate about their philosophy that it's very easy to see why you agree or disagree with them.

I'm not a right hand/left hand technician. My thing is the elbows. :)

[quote name='The Funk' post='449855' date='Mar 30 2009, 08:15 PM']In between the other stuff, I did try not being a dick. :rolleyes:

I do get that the same things won't necessarily work for everyone. My right shoulder/upper back/collar bone/right forearm are totally messed up from a rugby injury I had when I was younger and the little finger on my left hand broke in two places and didn't heal properly either time, so I've had to adapt and adjust.

When I switched from playing a 4-string Fender Jazz to playing a 5-string Warwick Infinity, I did have to alter my technique so as not to mess up my wrists.

There's a lot of people on these forums with a lot of experience of different aspects of being a bass player. That's what I love about these forums. I especially like the purists - they're so passionate about their philosophy that it's very easy to see why you agree or disagree with them.

I'm not a right hand/left hand technician. My thing is the elbows. :)[/quote]

OK yes I take your points on board.

There's nothing wrong with being a purist by the way, but I'm a way over the top purist with a lot of other stuff and am trying to be more laid back on the bass front!

OK - the sweatband is working perfectly, happy days!

I think we can close the meeting now.

Back to my bass. Man, this bass is amazing!!!!!!!

Did I mention how much I LOVE this bass!!

No, seriously, this bass is a thing of deepest joy!!!!

[quote name='Eight' post='449894' date='Mar 30 2009, 08:46 PM']Glad this is resolved but...

Girls in sweatbands is not cool. :)

+1 Hawt![/quote]

You think I'm sweaty now, imagine me with a lace glove on, I'd be drowning by the end.

It's punk raaawwwwkkkk, who give's a rats ass how the sweatband looks! :rolleyes:

[quote name='AM1' post='449948' date='Mar 30 2009, 09:23 PM']You think I'm sweaty now, imagine me with a lace glove on, I'd be drowning by the end.[/quote]
Hahahah. Ok, fair point. :)

[quote]It's punk raaawwwwkkkk, who give's a rats ass how the sweatband looks! :rolleyes:[/quote]
And I'll give you half a point for that one too. Can't concede defeat completely though - anyone in a sweatband reminds me of Mark Knopfler.

[quote name='The Funk' post='449813' date='Mar 30 2009, 07:30 PM']I don't think I've seen anyone with floating thumb technique have any part of their plucking hand/arm resting against the bass.[/quote]

well then, you should come see me play. :)

we've conveniently got a gig sunday! >.<

[quote name='escholl' post='449964' date='Mar 30 2009, 09:32 PM']well then, you should come see me play. :rolleyes:

we've conveniently got a gig sunday! >.<[/quote]

A comrade :-)

I like your style.

We've got a gig on Saturday! I'll come see you, if you come see me!

Caveat: It depends how inebriated I eventually end up on Saturday night and who's sofa I pass out on! :)

[quote name='AM1' post='449982' date='Mar 30 2009, 09:41 PM']A comrade :-)

I like your style.

We've got a gig on Saturday! I'll come see you, if you come see me!

Caveat: It depends how inebriated I eventually end up on Saturday night and who's sofa I pass out on! :)[/quote]

haha but we've got a rehearsal sat night, so i'm not sure i could make it :[

where is your gig?

[quote name='escholl' post='449964' date='Mar 30 2009, 09:32 PM']well then, you should come see me play. :rolleyes:

we've conveniently got a gig sunday! >.<[/quote]

If you're gigging in London, I'll come watch. :)

Eight - I totally agree about the Mark Knopfler thing!

AM - I would watch your gig but I'm not into punk.

[quote name='The Funk' post='450074' date='Mar 30 2009, 10:49 PM']AM - I would watch your gig but I'm not into punk.[/quote]

Nowt wrong with a bit of the old Dire Straits!!

Actually my brother banned me from playing Sultans of Swing in his bedroom when I was at my parents house and said I was an aging, uncool rocker. Mehe!

He will be horrified when he hears of SweatBandGate.

PS - Funk, I'm in London too, don't be a fascist, come along and watch me sweat!!

I use a pick to play generally and have the same issue. I tried wristbands, but I didn't like the extra bulk that it creates on my wrist and how my hand then sat on the bass.

So, I now use some of that tubular bandage stuff you can get from chemists. Nice and thin, elastic so it stays in place and you can dye it black to make it look less like your a wrist slasher. Works a bloomin' treat for me.

I get this and it drives me nuts. Unfortunately. the reason my wrist rubs against the bass is due to the angle I'm forced to adopt due to an elbow injury sustained a few years ago. I always use a wrist band, it's the only thing I've found that works well. :)

Pete