Why become a member? ×

Help and Advice Needed

Bobass

Need some advice on a recent purchase on a Elwood 4. Action was high when I purchased, assumed that it would just be a tweak on the truss rod, but having gradually turned the truss rod clockwise from the heel end it has not moved the action at all and the truss rod is now tight.

Any help would be much appreciated

Though a truss adjustment will affect the action, you’re best off setting the truss to how you want the neck, then adjusting the saddles. If the saddles are at the lowest, try a neck shim if you’re happy to go that route on a new bass - some people will, some won’t. 

Most of all, are you sure the truss is actually working fine? 

• Like 1

Maruszczyk truss rods are reverse: anti-clockwise to tighten.

The truss rod is really to set the relief, not the action.  To check the relief, press the E string down at the 1st and 16th frets; then while doing that, the string height at the 8th fret should be hardly above the fret - but not so low to be touching it.  You can (or should) use a feeler gauge to be more accurate.

Then only when the relief is correct, set the action at the saddles (as Chiliwailer says).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jrixn1 said:

Maruszczyk truss rods are reverse: anti-clockwise to tighten.

I had a bass like that a few years back, confused the hell out of me and elicited some very bad language until I sussed it out.

• Haha 2

Hi all, thank you so so much for advice and help. It was driving me mad but a quick tweak anti clockwise on the truss rod has started to straighten then neck out. It an Elwood 4 and a wonderful bass. Aging many many thanks, your all a credit to our bass chat community 

• Like 3