Why become a member? ×

Will Lee

molan

I'm sitting here in a vaguely mellow Sunday night mood & listening to Laura Nyro's last album - Angel in the Dark - which has some great songs, both original & classic covers.

Bass duties are mostly covered by Freddy Washington & Will Lee & I've been really impressed by Will Lee's near perfect studio tone that just fits some of Nyro's songs so well. There's a couple of intros where the bass is really high in the mix &, to my ears, the recording of the bass is near perfect, plenty of depth but with crisp highs & some nice finger noise so you know it's all live & not nastily processed.

I've seen him featured in Bass Player & stuff but never really listened to him before. I'll have to dig some more of his stuff out :)

Quite liking the look of his new signature Sadowsky as well:

He's had a lot of practice, I'd guess he's probably one of the most widely recorded bassists of all time. When I had the opportunity to talk to Paul Turner from Jamiroquai a while ago he told me that when he filled in for Will Lee with Paul Shaffer, Will turned up at the end of the night and was really complementary of his playing, despite how nervous Paul was when he spotted him in the wings.

His new Sadowsky looks great... I bet it plays like a dream.

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='449088' date='Mar 29 2009, 11:26 PM']I love that Sadowsky ad: "the last two years have been a period of intense collaboration, experimenting and prototyping ...."

And the result?

...a Fender Jazz copy! :)[/quote]

:rolleyes: :D

But I think its the other way around these days...
Fenders are Cheap nasty versions of the Sadowsky... ;)

Garry