Why become a member? ×

Beefing up the bridge pickup on a P/J bass, open to ideas/mods etc

shoulderpet

If you want more oomph on the bridge boost 350Hz and that might fatten it up a bit. Obviously you’d need some sort of semi-para or parametric eq to do this. The rub is it may impact on the p tone but a decent eq pedal might be a good first option (or if you have a DAW on your computer you could try it there).

As for a replacement pick up I like a DiMarzio Model J - it’s basically a p bass pick up in a jazz case and has a good mid forward sound over a standard jazz single coil. It’ll give you more grunt and it can be wired in series/parallel so you can have that extra option, won’t require any additional routing so long as your control cavity can handle a push/pull pot for the switching. It’s not an expensive pick up and a push pull pot keeps things tidy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, krispn said:

As for a replacement pick up I like a DiMarzio Model J - it’s basically a p bass pick up in a jazz case and has a good mid forward sound over a standard jazz single coil. It’ll give you more grunt and it can be wired in series/parallel so you can have that extra option, won’t require any additional routing so long as your control cavity can handle a push/pull pot for the switching. It’s not an expensive pick up and a push pull pot keeps things tidy. 

+1

DiMarzio Model J is a very versatile powerful PUP and will provide the fatness that you are seeking. It's been around since the 70's and IMHO is one of the best after market Pups. 

If you are adventurous enough to go for the routing of a MM solution please take a look at the Warman MM Pup it is truly a superb sounding Pup. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Have been thinking and as my favourite tone seems to be P pickup soloed with the tone rolled off about half way on an already pretty dark P pickup (SPB-2) my ideal would be a bridge position mudbucker 

However the string spacing on that type of pickup seems to be way to narrow to work effectively in that position which has got me thinking maybe I should stick with a J bridge pickup but get a custom one wound to be super hot, like 25k resistance, that would certainly be an interesting tone

I bought a Yamaha BB434 thinking I would get the best of both worlds but my experience has been similar to most posters above.  I have Di Marzio Ultra jazz pups on my MIM jazz and they are great, no single coil hum and they sound fantastic.  I was thinking of swapping out the Yamaha J pup for a single Ultra Jazz, then this caught my eye: 

https://ddmusic.ph/product/dd-awingan-4s-bass-black/

In case you are wondering, 11250 Filipino Pesos is about £170.  Still worth the punt even with VAT and import duties.