Why become a member? ×

NAD Trace Elliot V6

la bam

So lucky to find this this week!

Picked it up and straight down the practice room!!

In absolutely lovely condition, recently revalved and comes in custom case too.

Sound wise I didnt really know what to expect. It has lots of eq - bass, lo mid, hi mid (pull switch), treble, deep,, and high. It's quite scooped with everything at noon, but roll the bass back and put the treble up and it's a gorgeous sound.

It took me a good few hours to find the tone I was after (as usual not much tweaking needed from flat it turns out) and it just began sitting really nice in the mix to the backing tracks.

It isnt a SVT. In fact it sounds absolutely nothing like an SVT, for those of you who were wondering. It's more like a solid state amp with a bit of that 3D sound and warmth to it, but much nicer. It quite similar to my big gk 550.

After a few hours I whacked the backing track right up and really dug in. THATS when it comes to life. Gorgeous tone there.

And the big bonus - it's only 20 something kilos, so much much easier to move than an svt or any of my previous valve amps. Even in it's hard case it's a decent lift.

Very happy purchase!

20210619_125707.jpg

20210619_141331.jpg

20210619_141312.jpg

Edited by la bam
  • Like 10

The 2 and 4 ohm inputs on the V6 can make finding cabs tricky, since generally most mainstream 2x10, 1x15, 4x10s, 2x12s tend to be 8 ohms. I have read that the V6 will cope with a single 8ohm load but I have not tried this as the repair costs if the amp does not cope with an 8 ohm load are astronomical. The Super 12 is pretty much an ideal cab in my opinion. 

I think that the original VType cabs were sealed but I have used the V6 with mostly ported cabs and it sounds great. I currently use my V6 with a Mesa 6x10 (non-sealed). Complete overkill but great sound. Ideally I would get a 4 ohm 4x10 or 2x12. Something like a Bergantino/Aguilar or Mesa would be great. 

The V6 is a great amp. I have had one since 2012. It has only needed revalving once, though that was bloody expensive. Loud as hell, very clean sounding so not much pre-amp 'grind' but with an overdrive pedal it can certainly get very aggressive. I don't really like the Deep and Bright switches though so they generally remain off.

On 19/06/2021 at 17:15, la bam said:

Also, can anyone recommend a matching cab for this?

I used my barefaced super 12 (2x12) and it was great, but I'm not sure if this wants/needs/is designed for use with a multiple 10 sealed cab?

Congratulations.

You could always try 2no, Barefaced Two10s? Switchable 12 or 4 ohms, so 4 ohms with a single cab, 2 ohms with both. I think that combination would sound pretty epic.

EDIT - And no dreaded overhang 👍

Edited by Deedee