Why become a member? ×

Take alook at this, quite funny its a CAR bass

pala

Can't help thinking the stress of pursuing this for two years is probably doing way more than £5K's worth of damage to his life expectancy.

Buying a bass unseen from the USA is hugely risky (as I famously found out), not simply because of the distance, but because of the varying (but
usually seller-protecting) legal systems there. If you do it, you accept the risks (as I did). If you don't think ebay's risky, then you're essentially a naive fool who's waiting to be ripped off, and there's loads of sellers there (and here) queueing up to do so. Just check out most USA dealers' descriptions and T&Cs, which together often amount to "even if it's useless, you can't legally get your money back".

I can't help feeling that this guy's adrenals must be pumping gallons of stress hormones into his system every time he thinks about the deal, and that he'd be better off using the ebay money to get some counselling, get over it, and learn to enjoy playing what is still a lovely bass.

And if the buyer's on here - which from previous discussions I suspect he is - I mean no disrespect, I'm simply offering an honest opinion

Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='453062' date='Apr 3 2009, 10:37 AM']Buying a bass unseen from the USA is hugely risky (as I famously found out), not simply because of the distance, but because of the varying (but
usually seller-protecting) legal systems there. If you do it, you accept the risks (as I did). If you don't think ebay's risky, then you're essentially a naive fool who's waiting to be ripped off, and there's loads of sellers there (and here) queueing up to do so. Just check out most USA dealers' descriptions and T&Cs, which together often amount to "even if it's useless, you can't legally get your money back".[/quote]

Ahhhhh but Chris it can sooooo rewarding.... I wouldnt have had that wonderful Fender P and 3 of my PRSs now if I hadnt been prepared to "take the risk".... :rolleyes: Having said that I did get stuffed for £800 as well (but just got the last of that back thanks to a very nice detective in Tulsa OK)

I frimly believe in the adendum, "if its too good to be true it almost ceratinly is...." I believe our ebay friend fell for that hook line and sinker, and now he wants to air his disgust rather than admit he's been a bit of a plonker.....

Some folks want to blame everyone else for thier own errors, and this is normally hereditry..... He wont be wound up at all, as he firmly beieves the other guy is wrong and not him for not being thorough before parting with his dosh......... :)

Anyhoo bud how you keepin?

I think that what he is doing is great to bring awareness about a purveyor of top end goods who is ripping people off without any cares - and who btw way has a supremely worse attitude than the guy we're talking about here - he brags about his cars and homes like a cheesy pimpin' G as justification of him being right/better.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='453229' date='Apr 3 2009, 12:21 PM']I think that what he is doing is great to bring awareness about a purveyor of top end goods who is ripping people off without any cares - and who btw way has a supremely worse attitude than the guy we're talking about here - he brags about his cars and homes like a cheesy pimpin' G as justification of him being right/better.[/quote]

I'm not sure he is..... there are far better, more cost effective, and highly disruptive ways of 'getting ones revenge' than gobbing off about it.....

[url="http://www.bo2k.com/index2.shtml"]http://www.bo2k.com/index2.shtml[/url]

[quote name='The Burpster' post='453080' date='Apr 3 2009, 10:48 AM']Ahhhhh but Chris it can sooooo rewarding.... I wouldnt have had that wonderful Fender P and 3 of my PRSs now if I hadnt been prepared to "take the risk".... :rolleyes: Having said that I did get stuffed for £800 as well (but just got the last of that back thanks to a very nice detective in Tulsa OK)

I frimly believe in the adendum, "if its too good to be true it almost ceratinly is...." I believe our ebay friend fell for that hook line and sinker, and now he wants to air his disgust rather than admit he's been a bit of a plonker.....

Some folks want to blame everyone else for thier own errors, and this is normally hereditry..... He wont be wound up at all, as he firmly beieves the other guy is wrong and not him for not being thorough before parting with his dosh......... :)

Anyhoo bud how you keepin?[/quote]

Agreed, it can be rewarding. However, as you say, if it appears too good to be true you either do your homework or, if you choose to close your eyes and hope for the best, don't moan when you find out the gamble didn't pay off. I can't believe that the buyer didn't ask for pics of the neck pocket, it's the very least I'd do in the circumstances, especially given how many ringers there are out there. I once asked a seller to do this and he said he would never take the neck off a vintage bass. I replied asking him how he knew the neck and body were original without having checked out the pocket and heel, and he replied that he had taken the previous (ebay) seller's word for it. I didn't buy the bass! I guess even photos won't do the trick though - that rather dodgy 'Fender Custom Shop Precision Bass' that was doing the rounds on ebay last year is a case in point; I went to look at it in person, took off the neck and there were no Fender markings anywhere. It was bought by a ebay re-seller, relisted at a huge mark up and, guess what, in the listing were photos of the neck pocket with some very dodgy marker pen dates and signatures.

Even if you can buy in person, if you're gonna spend a large amount of cash on a vintage bass you really have to know your stuff these days. I got caught out with my current fretless Jazz, but the seller played ball and reimbursed a significant amount of the cost when I was able to demonstrate that the board was not original. It's a lovely bass and I'm keeping it, but it's worth less than half of what I paid so had he not played ball and I'd needed to sell, I'd have lost a lot of cash. I guess the message is that if you're buying a bass, unless you really know your stuff, buy an instrument not an antique; if you need a really nice CAR Jazz Bass with matching headstock, get a new Custom Shop model; you know what you're getting and it'll sound/play just as good as most 70's versions. Mojo is very overated given the risk!

Apologies for the lecture! I'm keeping well thanks Bob. Hope the same's the case with you

Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='453532' date='Apr 3 2009, 05:15 PM']'Fender Custom Shop Precision Bass' that was doing the rounds on ebay last year is a case in point; I went to look at it in person, took off the neck and there were no Fender markings anywhere. It was bought by a ebay re-seller, relisted at a huge mark up and, guess what, in the listing were photos of the neck pocket with some very dodgy marker pen dates and signatures.[/quote]

Chris,

Name the seller!

[quote name='BB2000' post='453547' date='Apr 3 2009, 05:29 PM']Chris,

Name the seller![/quote]

Wish I could remember. There was a thread about it in this forum. Subsequently it sold and was relisted by that buyer at a significantly higher price (i.e., it sold for £500 and was listed at around £2000 IIRC)

C