ash

Yamaha SB-50 MIJ Circa 1973 SOLD!
£375
Lancaster

Posted (edited)

A rare Yamaha SB-50 Bass for sale from around 1973. This is a cool bass, well gigged but solid and sounding great. It has a medium scale and a distinctive German carve - or pie crust look. It’s all original but missing the bridge mute and pickup ashtrays. These appear to be quite collectible and crop up on Talkbass occasionally with the predictable daft prices on Reverb. It’s one of Yamaha’s first original basses and it’s quirky ‘Les Paul by Dali’ looks will make you stand out on stage! It’s also very red…..

It weighs around 4kgs sounds really very good from old school rock to modern tones. I was amazed by how versatile it is. Plays well and the neck is great too.

Not sure how to price it but it’s definitely a sale only and I won’t be sending it overseas - sorry. Let’s try £295 - certainly a change from a MIM Precision. 
Note there is a crack on the lacquer in the body but this hasn’t effected neck stability. 

My cat loves it! More pics to follow.

Edited by ash
Now Sold!
  • Like 8

Bargain at twice the asking price :)

21 minutes ago, triplebass said:

Lovely, too bad it’s UK sale only...

Sorry it’s just too much hassle these days selling outside the U.K. 

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, pluckedout said:

PM'd

And replied

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Bassaio
      LAST PRICE DROP £1250
      Gorgeous Bass made in Switzerland, by great luthier Tino Tedesco ():
      Body Ash with tonal Chambers
      Top Alder
      Neck quartesawn maple
      Fingerboard  birdseye maple
      Hipshot Tuners - Dunlop Straplocks - Pickup X-EMG Active
      ultralightweight

• By dave_bass5
      I got this cab new in Dec from PMT, along with the padded cover (£70) that allows you to use the speaker without taking the cover off. 
      The idea was to use it with my synth but ive decided to use IEM’s instead. 
      Its had very light home use, and two rehearsals. It looks brand new more or less. 
      Ill uploasd photos tomorrow, just getting the ball rolling now. 1000watts apparently,. It is very loud whatever these watts are based on. 
      https://www.andertons.co.uk/live-pa/pa-systems/active-pa-speakers/yamaha-dbr12-1000w-active-1x12-pa-speaker
      This is the cover.
      https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Yamaha-Speaker-Cover-for-DXR12mkII-DBR12-and-CBR12/13MB?origin=product-ads&gclid=CjwKCAjwq7aGBhADEiwA6uGZp9ooFTtdfZ2kOKIbWsu4mNwS1amtrvZ1zB0I3C-gM3Y6YlrUy1xKsRoCkdAQAvD_BwE
      Not looking for any trades, and not offering delivery on this as i dont have the packaging. 
      Any questions just ask (not about shipping or trading though). 
    • By silentbob
      Picked this up a couple of months back to have another try with five strings. Not sure what I was thinking because I struggle with four so in light of some recent purchases I  think I will move this on.
      The Good Points
      It's a good, solid 5 string bass which punches above it's weight. Body is Bubinga wood, fingerboard is Rosewood. The neck is super flat and really nice to play. Hardware and pickups are by Wilkinson. The four pots are Volume, Tone, Bass, and Pickup Blend.
      The Bad Points
      It has a few marks and dings (the previous owner toured Europe with it) but nothing major, just general, light, wear and tear.
      When I picked it up, it had a really low output, and the pickup blend pot was crackly when adjusted. On inspection, the battery had leaked and corroded the battery clip, so I replaced that and stuck in a new 9v which sorted the output issue. I haven't gotten around to fixing the pot yet. It may just need a squirt of cleaner, or it may need a replacement soldering in, both of which should be pretty simple and are reflected in the price.
      Price is £125. This does not include shipping but does include a crap Fender gig bag to carry it home in. Shipping could possibly be arranged. I have a box, and can upgrade to a better more padded gigbag, but this will push the price to £160.
      I would also consider a trade for a high end (Mono, Sadowsky) gig bag with money either way.
      Socially distanced collection or viewing is welcome, as is PayPal if fees are covered.
      Any questions, please ask.

• By Arnoldoc
      Up for sale my top of the line, hand crafted in Japan, Yamaha Bb2025x - as used by Nathan East, Leland Sklar, Amos Heller, Tony Kanal and Michael Anthony.  Managed to get one in NOS a few months ago. Pretty difficult to find one of these days and still in mint condition. One of the most amazing basses I've played but have not played it often outside of the studio, where I tend to favour Jazz basses, so cutting a bit my collection. Hand crafted in Japan. A.R.E. and I.R.A. treated wood gives it a very broken in, and responsive feel. 
      Specs:
      Fingerboard: Maple Body: Alder Neck: Maple/Mahogany Scale Length: 34" Fingerboard: Rosewood Finish: Vintage White Pickups: Alnico Split Single (Neck), Ceramic Bar Single (Bridge) Pickup Switch: 3P Toggle Switch Pickguard: Black Hardware: Chrome 5-String bass guitar Low B 5th string for greater presence and heavy low-end Nickel Silver Nut Diagonal Body Thru Stringing A.R.E. and I.R A. Treatment Made in Japan Comes with Yamaha hardshell case Plenty of feedback: 

• By Umskii
      MusicMan Stingray Classic 4 2EQ Vintage Burst, Birds Eye Maple Neck (No Trades)
      Located in Manchester
      Beautiful bass, currently out of production, a childhood dream infact was fulfilled by owning one. Alas its time to move on and pay off some bills.
      Bass functions 100%, everything works and all electronics (pre-amp and pickup) are stock 
      Was setup last month by guitar repair workshop in PMT Manchester.
      I have included a ton of extras, (see pic) Polytuner, Pickguards, Pickup cover, Strap, Fender Cable, Extra foam mutes.
      Has one small dent on the front above the arm rest and common surface wear scratches on the lacquer on the back and corners of the bass.
      Neck has a thin folded piece of sandiing paper i put in as a shim as I play with super low action.
      The stringray class by design has a limit on how low the bridge scews can go, a shim was my way around this.
      Looking to post in the UK as a family member is extremely vulnerable to covid 19, can't have anyone over.

Serial # B052788 Manufactured December 22nd, 2010 Build Code 120-RB-RM-W3-CS-C1 Model Classic StingRay 2 EQ Hardware Chrome Hardware