Why become a member? ×

Shipping from the USA

Sarlscharisma

Apologies if I have this in the wrong thread, but has anyone shipped from the USA recently from a private seller.  I have ran into issues with insurance.  USPS only offer up to $200 insurance which I find hard to believe.

Fedex and UPS are $850 so out of the question.  Costs seem to have rocketed!

Is shipping to the UK still viable given the additional costs of import duties.

You should only use or accept the use of USPS if given absolutely no choice in the matter. Most big US institutions work on the basis that 99.9% of their business will be domestic, so don't waste time on a tiny number of customers who are stupid enough to live outside God's own country.

No, really, that is exactly how they think. Try doing business with a US bank or cellphone company or whatever and you'll soon find that out. Don't ask me how I know.

If you deal with a proper courier company (i.e. not USPS) then you should have no trouble and no long delays. UPS and Fedex aren't perfect, but then neither are DPD and DHL (though DPD come pretty close).

I bought a microphone from LA a few months ago, it arrived within three days. A pedal from New Jersey took about the same time.

Just now, Ricky Rioli said:

I wish you had told me earlier that you were offering to pay the extra £235 so I could upgrade from USPS/Parcelforce. Bit late now.

If you think that you were being quoted £235 for such an upgrade, then I can only assume that there has been a massive communication breakdown somewhere along the line.

I have been shipping stuff from the States (on an occasional basis) for many years ... basses, audio equipment, accessories, you name it ... and I have never been quoted anything remotely like that figure.

Are you sure that you are not confusing the situation by adding in quotes for insurance?

Incidentally, and as a side issue, I have never ever paid for extra insurance on any purchase. One day I may have cause to regret that but, in literally hundreds of transactions, I have yet to have done so.

YMMV

🙂💋

In the end I used easyship.com.  It cost me $200 including the full insurance.  USPS is not viable period for me as I don't buy basses under $200 which is there max insurance value.  easyship.com are the intermediary offering the insurance.

It actually costs loads more to ship from US to UK using FedEx and UPS.  So unless you buy from someone who has an account it doesn't really work, except for those who have money to burn!