Why become a member? ×

Hohner cricket bat

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Original-1986-Steinberger-Hohnor-Headless-Bass-Guitar_W0QQitemZ150329190707QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item150329190707&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A3|39%3A1|240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Original-1986-Steinb...%3A1|240%3A1318[/url]

This is a bit rude ....

"Those musicians who have played the headless bass are The Jam, The Stranglers, Duran Duran, Tears for Fears, Geddy Lee (rush), Sting and reggae master Robbie Shakespeare to name but a few... "

Completely true, yet misleading enough to make it seem that this is the bass model that was used. I hate dealers like this who prey on a buyer's ignorance.

Edited by bassaussie

Yikes! Some of the prices on his other items are equally disturbing -
60's fuzz face for £1650, Boss CE1 chorus (USA voltage!) £850 etc etc.
Trouble is, when people see gear advertised in this way they assume that is the going rate and it then everything ends up
at unrealistic levels.

Oh well, nothing new I suppose...

[quote name='bassaussie' post='445148' date='Mar 25 2009, 04:56 PM']"Those musicians who have played the headless bass are The Jam, The Stranglers, Duran Duran, Tears for Fears, Geddy Lee (rush), Sting and reggae master Robbie Shakespeare to name but a few... "

Completely true, yet misleading enough to make it seem that this is the bass model that was used. I hate dealers like this who prey on a buyer's ignorance.[/quote]

What a c***.

Also: 'you can get just about any bass guitar sound you want'

[quote name='bremen' post='446030' date='Mar 26 2009, 02:32 PM']What a c***.

Also: 'you can get just about any bass guitar sound you want'[/quote]

I owned this model before... also it was cool with its own charm, that's most certainly not true! Hate that the implication in the description is that the bass is a Steinberger. He walks a very fine between being ambigious and just plain deceptive.

Pity someone's bound to fall for it and even if I do report it, using my past experiences with eBay, they'll do nothing much about it.

[quote name='s_u_y_*' post='446041' date='Mar 26 2009, 02:46 PM']I owned this model before... also it was cool with its own charm, that's most certainly not true! Hate that the implication in the description is that the bass is a Steinberger. He walks a very fine between being ambigious and just plain deceptive.

Pity someone's bound to fall for it and even if I do report it, using my past experiences with eBay, they'll do nothing much about it.[/quote]
He won't sell it. There are always loads of these on Ebay at much more realistic (although still inflated IMO) prices. He won't get people searching for "Hohner" because he's too dim to spell it right, & no-one looking for a real Steiny would look twice - apart from to laugh or facepalm.

Apart from some dubious hype there's nothing actually misleading about his blurb - these are licensed by Steinberger so it's no more deceptive than mentioning Fender when flogging a Squier. I think if anyone's dim enough to buy it then that's a salutary lesson. I don't think the stupid should be protected from their own stupidity.

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='446162' date='Mar 26 2009, 04:29 PM']Apart from some dubious hype there's nothing actually misleading about his blurb - these are licensed by Steinberger so it's no more deceptive than mentioning Fender when flogging a Squier.[/quote]

His exact words are:

This is the Original 1986 Steinberger® Headless Bass Guitar From Hohner.

It's just the way he's worded it that makes me uncomfortable. It's more than mentionning it, it suggests that it's an "Original 1986 Steinberger" rather than just a licensed copy. It's more like describing it as an "original 1997 Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray from OLP". I know I'm just playing semantics, but he is too.

Edited by s_u_y_*

[quote name='bassaussie' post='445148' date='Mar 25 2009, 04:56 PM']This is a bit rude ....

"Those musicians who have played the headless bass are The Jam, The Stranglers, Duran Duran, Tears for Fears, Geddy Lee (rush), Sting and reggae master Robbie Shakespeare to name but a few... "

Completely true, yet misleading enough to make it seem that this is the bass model that was used. I hate dealers like this who prey on a buyer's ignorance.[/quote]

JJ Burnell did play the Hohner version prior to getting his Steinberger, I take your point though.