Why become a member? ×

How to Bust the Ghost Notes

Kwiatkowski_73

Hey all! 

I've been tonking away at the lessons and got to a point where I'm playing the bass line from Billie Jean. I happened to record myself playing it and on play back noticed that when I'm moving between strings I'm almost getting a hammer on and pull off sound whilst moving. Once heard, never unheard. It is doing my head in. 

Is this down to Technique, Set Up, both or have I not sacrificed enough skin to the Bass Gods? 

Help Me Bass Kenobis. You're my only hope. 

Are you listening through headphones?

I practice using headphones and they pick up everything. All the little finger hits etc.

But when I play live (remember that?) none of this comes through, especially against the sound of the band and the drunks in the audience. I don't record, so there maybe more of it coming through then.

But I do find the headphones useful, in that they force me to improve on these details of my technique. Especially as I'm playing roundwounds after about ten years of flats. You get away with LOTS with flatwounds...

Cheers

Graham

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kwiatkowski_73 said:

Hey all! 

I've been tonking away at the lessons and got to a point where I'm playing the bass line from Billie Jean. I happened to record myself playing it and on play back noticed that when I'm moving between strings I'm almost getting a hammer on and pull off sound whilst moving. Once heard, never unheard. It is doing my head in. 

Is this down to Technique, Set Up, both or have I not sacrificed enough skin to the Bass Gods? 

Help Me Bass Kenobis. You're my only hope. 

Keep practicing, and perhaps work on your fretting hand fingerings. Apply enough pressure until you produce a clear tone, then you don't need to press any harder, the lighter your touch the faster you can change position, plus it will help with your intonation. 

Don't be too hard on yourself, listening to yourself play is always tough at first, but it shows you where you need to focus. 

• Thanks 1

I'd also go listen to some isolated bass tracks from famous recordings - there's stuff on YouTube from James Jamerson, McCartney and many more. When you hear all the buzz, finger noise and string clanks on iconic bass performances that you can barely perceive once they're sat in a mix, you'll feel better about your own! Analysing your own playing on an isolated recording is a great way to improve but without context you can also go right down a rabbit hole and best yourself up far too much!

Edited by mike257
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1