Why become a member? ×

Replacement tuners for '95 MIM P Bass. Suggestions?

Peejay

Hi all

I've just bought a mint '95 MIM Sunburst/RW P Bass from a friend who no longer plays. After a good clean, restring, new tort guard, Fender Hi-Mass bridge and general set up it plays and sounds great, but I hate the tuners. They don't turn smoothly and I'd rather replace them.

Not a fan of the tapered post, so I'd prefer an alternative to direct replacement or Hipshot HB-7, which I know won't require new holes drilling.

Have any of you guys replaced your standard Mexican tuners? If so, what with?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Paul

I haven’t actually done it, but Gotoh GB2s have a similar ratio to hipshot hb7s, the same diameter shaft and it looks like the footprint covers the existing holes. Still needs new holes drilling, but should end up neat.

Anyone tried them on a Mexican fender to be sure they fit?

I have a mint set of MIM Fender tuners I took off my P/J (I replaced them with vintage style Gotohs soon after I bought the instrument because I wanted the old style smaller elephants' ears). They've been sitting in a cupboard ever since. Turn nice and freely and clean/unmarked. Shoot me a PM if they'd be of interest.

• 2 weeks later...

Ended up getting some Gotoh FB30s and after carefully drilling new mounting screw holes they work perfectly. Look great too

Just need to upgrade the pickup now. Any recommendations? Saw some Entwistle P Bass pickups that look interesting  (and cheap) but open to suggestions. Mainly play blues/rock stuff.

Cheers

Paul

47 minutes ago, Peejay said:

Thanks for that. I thought they were too cheap to be any good.

Considered EMG Geezer or Vintage 62 but as I only play at home these days I'll give the Entwistle a try.

Cheers

Not so. The Entwistle neo's are very similar to SD quarter pounder, in terms of sound and output. Less expensive pickups are so good these days, don't think otherwise. 

If you like vintage tone, my favourite is Fender custom shop 62, however Wilkinson do an inexpensive alnico pickup, which sounds scarily close, despite the big price difference. Tonerider also  make great pickups which are also inexpensive. Roswell do their own version of SD quarter pounder, which are good and inexpensive, as well as Vintage pickups too.

The Geezers, or Steve Harris pickup are great for blues/rock. Just note with Entwistle neo's are very deep pickups, moreso than the standard P pickup, so make sure the body of your bass is deep enough to accommodate them!

Thanks again. That's really helpful. I had Wilkinsons on an old bass and they did sound good. Quite versatile and decent output.

Had a '76 P Bass  ages ago and liked that sound, but traded it for my RD Artist. I've got seven basses so should be able to get a decent sound from that lot!