Why become a member? ×

Bowie - Brilliant Live Adventures

Possibly one for another thread - does your band have "always in" songs that have to appear in every set, or do you mix it up every time?

From my trib days we tried to do the latter, but it turned out that there were one or two songs that turned up in every set regardless.

4 hours ago, toneknob said:

Possibly one for another thread - does your band have "always in" songs that have to appear in every set, or do you mix it up every time?

From my trib days we tried to do the latter, but it turned out that there were one or two songs that turned up in every set regardless.

Mmm, have to appear? Not really, although there are a few that do appear quite regularly. Our #1 fans unsubtly drop into post gig conversation should we dare not play Ziggy Stardust into Suffragette City, but other than that, we like to mix it up. We have about 60 or so songs to choose from at the moment, so it's fairly easy to do. 

• Like 1

Just to echo some of the comments regarding the quality playing of Dennis Davis, I'm enjoying this album. I know the Diamond Dogs Tour has been documented elsewhere, but this is the second leg compared to the earlier first leg on which 'David Live' was recorded and features bass player Emir Ksasan instead of Herbie Flowers - oh, and Luther Vandross on backing vocals.

30ACF56D-57F5-4245-B159-D4C9D674D343.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Just to echo some of the comments regarding the quality playing of Dennis Davis, I'm enjoying this album. I know the Diamond Dogs Tour has been documented elsewhere, but this is the second leg compared to the earlier first leg on which 'David Live' was recorded and features bass player Emir Ksasan instead of Herbie Flowers - oh, and Luther Vandross on backing vocals.

30ACF56D-57F5-4245-B159-D4C9D674D343.jpeg

I’m waiting for that to arrive - can’t wait!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Pathetically materialistic of me I know, but it makes me very happy to complete the set with case.

The full CD set is going for stupid money on eBay, the vinyl set for even more.

Not selling mine though. Nothing like getting that Friday feeling on with a bit of Bowie in the background.

8C47B40C-7888-4D93-B725-9584035CFCAE.jpeg

FCD7A98B-598B-41CC-BF7B-B6BF0DBC14B5.jpeg

• Like 1

https://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/the-rhythm-section/8696

Sorry, further derail but I figure that the BCers on this thread are the people who'd be interested, if that makes sense. If this attaches it's the George Murray interview from the late 70's I was trying to find. His Isolar 2 gear is listed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 09/04/2021 at 23:11, The fasting showman said:

https://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/the-rhythm-section/8696

Sorry, further derail but I figure that the BCers on this thread are the people who'd be interested, if that makes sense. If this attaches it's the George Murray interview from the late 70's I was trying to find. His Isolar 2 gear is listed

Thank you so much, that’s a fantastic read!

Very candid, too - pretty much openly criticising Emir Ksasan for not being ‘in the pocket’ - which you wouldn’t get these days.

There’s a confidence (arrogance!) from DD that I really like, which is perfectly complimented by GM’s more understated/humble approach.

And the little oddities that come out of articles like this are great - I hadn’t realised that D’addario strings were around in ‘78 (I’ve since Googled their history!).

Anyway, all hail the “John Coltrane of rock ‘n’ roll”!!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Old Man Riva said:

Thank you so much, that’s a fantastic read!

Very candid, too - pretty much openly criticising Emir Ksasan for not being ‘in the pocket’ - which you wouldn’t get these days.

There’s a confidence (arrogance!) from DD that I really like, which is perfectly complimented by GM’s more understated/humble approach.

And the little oddities that come out of articles like this are great - I hadn’t realised that D’addario strings were around in ‘78 (I’ve since Googled their history!).

Anyway, all hail the “John Coltrane of rock ‘n’ roll”!!

It's a pleasure, I knew that interview was kicking around somewhere!

GM hits the nail on the head with one piece of wisdom; he uses flats on his P bass and rounds on the Travis Bean because that combination suits the basses he owns to get the best out of those instruments, could have saved me decades of going backwards and forwards if I had learnt that earlier as it is what I do now. Also the insight that he could use either bass for any particular song but chooses to divide use of basses across the set for his own amusement and utility....quite honest really about how arbitrary the choice is!

Interesting to know that they used rehearsal takes for Heroes rather than deliberate ones, shows how Visconti knew how to get the best out of the players.

Edited by The fasting showman
overuse of a word
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Brilliant Adventures Era 5 will be released on Nov 26. I know, I know, it’s expensive for what it offers but….I didn’t think I would see the day that there would be an official expanded re-release of Bowie at The Beeb recorded in 2000. The original release was just perfectly mixed, absolutely lush and to get more of it is Christmas come early for me. We still seem to be missing two tracks, Ziggy and The Jean Genie.

https://shop.davidbowie.com/products/brilliant-adventure-1992-2001-11cd-boxset

The ‘Toy’ album is also being released finally. Jan 7th for that one, so a birthday anniversary release.

https://shop.davidbowie.com/products/toy-box-3cd-box

There also appears to be something significant in the works for 2023.

• Like 1