Why become a member? ×

Video meeting platforms/apps

Bass Culture

53 minutes ago, Teebs said:

Hiya @Bass Culture :)

I was looking at this a while ago, and I got lots of useful information, in addition to the comments above on your thread.

Some very knowledgable people :)

Thanks for linking @Teebs - I'll read through your thread too.  Some great experience and advice already.  👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pete.young said:

It wasn't intended. I'm sorry if that's how it came across. If you dont get what you want out of Jamkazam with Warren, please get in touch and I'll happily show you what I know about Jamkazam. It's not a lite version: it's open source, there is no paid-for version and there are no strings attached.

Thanks Pete.  I'll keep it in mind.  By the way, the Jamkazam site mentions limitations on the free version and there are premium services.  It doesn't appear to support Linux.  That might be a deal breaker.

I've got almost all the requirements to set up now but for a low bandwidth.  The Post Office supply my line and they've managed to award themselves a forty percent rise this year without justification.

I have to be in the right frame of mind before I tell them how much better I could do with another service provider.  It's a bit tricky because I won't be needing the high capacity broadband that they're all trying to sell with all the bells and whistles.  All I need is a landline and a mid capacity bandwidth.  I don't use wifi at all so that's one less thing to slow down the connection

Oh, and a better interface.  I just have a Zoom B3 at the moment.  I might be ready in a couple of weeks or a couple of months depending on how much time I get to apply myself to setting up.

Sorry again, I meant to say "... what I know about Jamulus" .

Linux might indeed be a deal-breaker for Jamkazam - there doesn't seem to be an option to download a Linux client. There are a couple of references to it but they all seem to date from a few years ago.

Jamulus does have Linux support. There may even be a package, depending on which version you are using. If not, it's pretty straightforward to complie from source. I haven't built a client, but I did build the server code on a Raspberry Pi and it worked OK,  just took a little while to compile.

B3 should work fine. If your PC has a built-in mike you could use that for voice,  but there's a text chat window so it's not crucial provided that you are sighted. One of the people I play with is blind, so he doesn't have a lot of use for text chat.

Drop me a PM when you're ready, if you need help.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, pete.young said:

Sorry again, I meant to say "... what I know about Jamulus" .

Linux might indeed be a deal-breaker for Jamkazam - there doesn't seem to be an option to download a Linux client. There are a couple of references to it but they all seem to date from a few years ago.

Jamulus does have Linux support. There may even be a package, depending on which version you are using. If not, it's pretty straightforward to complie from source. I haven't built a client, but I did build the server code on a Raspberry Pi and it worked OK,  just took a little while to compile.

B3 should work fine. If your PC has a built-in mike you could use that for voice,  but there's a text chat window so it's not crucial provided that you are sighted. One of the people I play with is blind, so he doesn't have a lot of use for text chat.

Drop me a PM when you're ready, if you need help.

I wondered.  No need to apologise.  I get like that with all the new fangled names for applications and web services.  At least neither of the applications are named after orbiting pork like m00np1g!

If I recall, Jamulus is not a peer to peer network.  Hmmm.

I may well contact you and @hiram.k.hackenbacker.  I can't say when but thank you both.

• Like 1

Full disclosure: My experience with JamKazam up until this point has been using an ethernet cable with a fairly decent wi-fi extender (plug in the wall job). JamKazam does work well with this, but I have now purchased a 15m Cat7 cable which is just about long enough to reach the router directly rather than using the extender. The difference, and I quote the singer, ‘is night and day’. Whilst it worked for me quite well, the extender caused issues with the other participants to the extent they were fighting a very slight lag. There was also, I know realise, a compromise in audio quality. We have another rehearsal tomorrow and I’m really looking forward to it. Through JamKazam this new band, who have never been in the same room together, have got a two hour set chosen and rehearsed to a near gig ready status.

• Like 2