Why become a member? ×

Squier 51 bridge saddle height adjustment key

oldslapper

So, the last of my bridge saddle height adjustment allen/hex keys has left home, sometime over the past few weeks. 
I wish it had told me it wanted out, I’m not one to be possessive in a relationship. But this is a reoccurring issue. At one point I had several (a harem if you like), but now I have none.

So, 2 questions.
What size should I order (I’ll buy a few) and where do people keep them to stop them abandoning you? All in one place or scattered in several “safe spaces”?

I only own 3 basses, 2 have bbot type bridges and the 51 style.

thanks. Lonely slappy 

Edited by oldslapper

If you don't plan on losing them, it's worth going for reasonable quality Cro-Va ball ended ones:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/teng-tools-metric-ball-end-hex-key-set-9-pieces/4935x

Great for things like adjusting truss rods with poor access and a godsend for getting into corners of flatpack furniture as they work at an angle.

Depending on where your basses were made you might need Imperial and metric keys, which is why I recommended a set with both.

As a general rule of thumb US-made instruments and anything from the UK up to the mid 70s will be Imperial. Everything else should be metric.

Also check if 1.5mm is small enough for your needs. 

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

If you don't plan on losing them, it's worth going for reasonable quality Cro-Va ball ended ones:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/teng-tools-metric-ball-end-hex-key-set-9-pieces/4935x

Great for things like adjusting truss rods with poor access and a godsend for getting into corners of flatpack furniture as they work at an angle.

Thanks for the link. I’ve actually got that very same set, but lost the one that fitted most saddle height adjustment 🤦🏻‍♂️

The Laser ball end extra long set 2220 is very good, I've used one day in day out working on gearboxes and they are still good after more than 10 years, very hard wearing, and the plastic holder is still good too, just the right grade of plastic, hasn't worn much, hasn't split, still functions really well

I bought a second set for my musical instruments as the workshop ones are always oily/greasy despite being wiped down before being put away

The extra length is always useful I find, other than for storage, makes them easier to find if dropped though

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1