theheed

Active PJs in cream/ivory recommendations

Hi everyone

I'm looking to replace/upgrade the pickups in my 1981 Ibanez Roadster RS940 Fretless and I'm finding the choice of cream/ivory pickups out there pretty sparse (regardless of the current COVID -related supply problems).

Currently, the bass has the pickups from when I bought it, second-hand for about £90 from Allbang & Strummit on Earlham Street (now there's a blast from the past!) in London in about 1988.

The previous owner had already replaced the original ivory bridge pickup with a black EMG, which sounded great. But now its crackly electronics need a bit of TLC so I figured I would improve the sound and look (I've lived with the quirky one-black one-white combination for long enough) with some new cream/ivory, active, exposed-pole PJs, as the original Ibanez Super 4 PJ seem impossible to find.

But the choice out there seems to be EMG with no exposed poles, or DiMarzio, which aren't active. Lightning rods are black only.  And Lindy Fralin are a bit on the pricy side.

I'm starting to thing that I may have to compromise on the exposed poles and go with Ivory EMG PJs. (Rather than PJ-X which I've heard don't have the slightly more low-fi growl.)

Anybody know of any other options?

Cheers

Andy

Must admit, that had crossed my mind. But I thought it might affect the warranty on new pickups, by taking them out of the original casing/cover.

If nothing else seems like an option, that could be a good solution.

Thanks for the reply!

6 hours ago, theheed said:

Must admit, that had crossed my mind. But I thought it might affect the warranty on new pickups, by taking them out of the original casing/cover.

If nothing else seems like an option, that could be a good solution.

Thanks for the reply!

They normally just drop into the covers. They're not fixed. So if you do have an issue, just put them back in the originals and keep schtum when returning them

20 hours ago, theheed said:

But the choice out there seems to be EMG with no exposed poles, or DiMarzio, which aren't active.

The stock pickups on the RS924 appear to be DiMarzio's. They use the same hex screw pole pieces, and to my knowledge no other manufacturer uses cream covers. I have owned an RS924 for over 10 years, but recently sold it because I prefer lighter basses and thinner necks these days. 

If your Roadster still has its stock electronics, active pickups aren't a requirement. EMG's will work because they have their own built-in preamp which boosts their output level to the same level as that of a passive pickup. If you originally intended to restore it as close to stock as possible, you could look at the DiMarzio's and maybe cleaning or replacing some pots - a likely culprit for the crackle you describe. 

Ahh...I thought they looked like DiMarzio. As far as I know (I've never taken the back plate off) the electronics are stock. Unless whoever put the EMG on changed something.

I'd like to get it as close to original look as possible so a set of creme DP126 would look great. And they seem to be available too.

If the pickups don't need to be active, all the better.

Now to find suitable machine heads, as the previous owner replace the 'Hercules' with Schallers.

Then knobs. Although I doubt the original Ibanez ones are still around.

As for 3d printing, I wouldn't know where to start!

Big thanks everyone on your help with this!

Edited by theheed

49 minutes ago, theheed said:

Then knobs. Although I doubt the original Ibanez ones are still around.

There's a few companies out there that replicate the original Sure Grip knobs, and the smaller EQ knobs too.

Ibanez themselves still use (!) the Sure Grip III, which was on the Musician and Roadster ranges from 1982-1983. These are also sold separately for roughly €7,50-€8,00 a piece. They're not the period correct model for the RS924, but close. Thomann stocks them, and the UK distributor for Ibanez (Headstock distribution?) may also be helpful. Meinl shop in Germany appears to be the official parts supplier for Ibanez parts in Germany, but their site says they're not allowed to ship to the UK. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By howdenspur
      Another "bought for a project/upgrade I didn't get round to" - it's still in the box @mcnach sent it to me in aeons ago! As per the title, this is a DM DP122 in cream. £43 delivered to you door, UK only.
      Thanks for looking!

• By Paul C
      Set of PJ pickups liberated from a Fernandez PJR 45 bass. Bass is from the mid 80s and pickups look original, but no idea on the brand that got fitted to these basses.
      J pickup has a cover but sorry can't find the P covers. 
      Price includes UK postage. Might be a good addition to a project or bitsa bass. 

• By [email protected]
      I bought this new last year. It's only been used a handful of times because I'm playing bass a lot less now. Beautiful natural finish and solid tone with a nice bit of growl typical of Lakland basses. 
      Collection is preferred, but I can ship at extra cost.
      Feel free to message me with any questions. See below for the official blurb.

The 44-64 is modelled after the venerable workhorse '64 P bass. One custom-wound Lakland pickup provides a bruising punch and drive that nails the vintage split humbucker tone, sending it through the roof with full voicing and modern energy. The body and 34" scale maple neck have an excellent balance.
      Specification
      Nut Width: 1.5" Nut Type: Delrin Fret Size: .041/.085" Width at Final Fret: 2.48" 1st Fret Neck Depth: .76" 12th Fret Neck Depth: .94" Fingerboard Radius: 10" Scale Length: 34" Frets: 20 Bridge String Spacing: .78" Neck Wood: Flat-Sawn Rock Maple Body wood: Ash Fingerboard: Fretted Maple Tuners: Hipshot Lisc. Ultra-Lite's Truss Rod Access: Neck Heel: 4mm Hex Pickguard: Black Controls: Volume/Tone Bridge: Lakland Dual Access  

• By Mattbass97
      Yamaha BB735A Sunburst 5 String PJ Active Bass Guitar With Sturdy Gig Bag. 
      Sold elsewhere for £570 + £39.99 shipping via ParcelForce tracked, signed for and with third party delivery insurance.
      In perfect working order and plays well (of course set up to your preference!)
      Has been gigged but well looked after - I have tried to take photos of every noticeable scratch / minor dent to show you the condition as best as possible. As you can see most of the scratches don’t appear unless under direct light or when using a flash thanks to the dark brown finish. See the bridge specifically which I had to use flash to show.
      Bass comes with gig bag shown which is sturdier than most! 
      Will be double boxed in the gig bag and shipped via parcel force and insured.
      Bass is currently fitted with a newish (a month or so) set of MarkBass LongEvo 045-130 coated bass strings.
      Any questions please let me know.

See spec and further details below!
      The BB for the working pro, the BB700 series features a versatile active/passive pickup configuration with a three-band EQ, six-bolt miter neck joint, Alder/Maple/Alder construction, and a diagonally strung convertible bridge.
      3-Piece body: Alder / Maple / Alder 5 piece neck: Maple / Mahogany 6-Bolt Miter Neck Joint Fretboard: Rosewood (Dalbergia latifolia) Scale: 864 mm (long scale) Frets: 21 Medium Pickups: YGD Custom V7 Pickups (AlnicoV) Vintage Plus Bridge: Convertible Bridge and Saddle Controls feature active 3-band EQ with battery alert led and active / passive switch Controls: Volume, Balance, Bass, Middle, Treble Colour: Dark Coffee Sunburst Gloss Includes a sturdy gig bag (see photos)   Yamaha demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDslUlL_j7Y    

• By Paul S
      I always find the headless, bodiless basses extremely useful.  Usually as back up as they take up very little room on 'stage' or in the car but, often, just for their own sake.  In the past I have bought, sold, rebought, sold again then rebought the Hohner 'B' series a few times, ending with this B2B.  The recent arrival of a Riverhead Unicorn bass has usurped the Hohner, which I am now putting up for sale.
      So, firstly, it isn't a spelling mistake.  This is the B2B, not the B2 or B2A or B2AD or any other letters of the alphabet.  It is a B2B.  It differs from the B2A in that it has PJ pickups, not EMGs.  It is passive and also has a bolt-on neck rather than a set neck - still has the full 2 octave, 24 frets though.  This is the second B2B I have owned - I prefer the more organic sound from the PJ set up (V V T controls) compared to the EMGs of the B2A and it does a passable precision bass tone on the neck pickup.  Blend in more of the bridge pup and you get that classic burpy tone.  The only other difference is that it doesn't have the flip down leg rest thingy.
      The serial number makes it 1990 and, like most 30 year olds, it has signs of use and wear.  Nothing scary.  The pickup poles and adjusting screws show signs of slight corrosion, making me think a previous owner sweated sulphuric acid.  Not a problem, everything works and I am sure they could be cleaned up, I just never considered it important.
      The tuning adjusting screws on the bridge are a bit stiff but work just fine, I put some graphite grease on them when I first got it (it really made my fingers sore trying to tune it!) and that has freed them up OK.  Neck is currently straight.  I've not needed to adjust the truss rod but have no reason to suppose it doesn't work.  A few dinks, nothing bad, worst one is by the input jack and pictured below.  Currently strung with double ball end Status flats, there will be a set of double ball end rounds in the box when it goes out.
      I don't have a hard case for it but it will be packaged well.
      Priced to sell - these usually go for £250+ - at £190 £170 including shipping to UK mainland.  Collect from SS7 and it goes down to £170.  £150
      I happen to be going to Devon on Friday morning - M25 south, M3, A303 - then on to Penzance on Saturday if that helps.