Why become a member? ×

Jazz necked Single soapbar p bass shape thing.

karlthebassist

Well, after building my little 1x10 cab on wednesday beause there was not much going on at work, we had another day without much on today... So I grabbed my spair status soapbar and fender jazz neck and bashed a body out

[attachment=22405:afgf.jpg]

thats the front

[attachment=22404:Image031.jpg]

and there's the back (but you guys know :) )

I've been wanting to start this bass for a while, and had the harware at work in my draws, so im glad to have finally started it.

I'm not going to carve any contouring onto it - I'm gonna see how it feels without it.

Thinking about staining it black or very very very very dark blue, becuase the colour of the piece of ash I have used is horrid. However, I've never stained a body before - can anyone advise me on how to go about it? I'd like to end with with a satin finish.

Just going to fit the bridge and tuners now and string it up and see how strait I've managed to get the neck....

Edited by karlthebassist

There we go.

[attachment=22412:Strung_Up.jpg]

I HATE drilling the holes for the tuning machines. Went fine, but its just so fiddely to get them all even without a jig. Engineers square is worth its weight in gold though :rolleyes:

So I've strung it and tuned it, fiddled with the truss rod. Can't be bothered to set it up or innotate it as the bridge has to come off again anyway. Comfortable to play it sitting down (even though the action is massive at the moment) Great neck though! Its a Mighty Mite neck that I got for 47 quid off ebay :)

Hopefully I'll get a chance to finish the control cavity at work next week, then I can sand it all nicely and start the finish. Might make a scratch-plate for it seeing as there is such a big gap between the pickup and the neck.

I'm not going to add another pickup - I dont want to spend another 50 odd quid on another one. With any luck this sould be finished by the end of the month.

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='440484' date='Mar 20 2009, 05:29 PM']That is going to be gorgeous and I'm a huge fan of blue basses too.

Well done. I wish I had the talent to do this.[/quote]

Blue it shall be then! I was waiting to see who suggested a colour first and I'd pick that one :) Cheeky eh?

I work for a small (5 people including myself) pattern making company. Have been there nearly a year now - was a tool room machinest before that. And no, pattern making isnt making pretty patterns...

I hope I've not been a bit careless with my pickup placement so close to the bridge, but I LUURVE playing back there and the only other bass that I really use is my P-bass, so I don't get that option.

• 3 weeks later...

did more today.
made a scratchplate, sanded it, did everything really that needs doing. now i ive just got to paint it. its going to be a lightish gunmetal grey

[attachment=23443:Image049.jpg]

[attachment=23442:Image066.jpg]

the bit of wood really does look crap around the back ans sides, so its definately getting painted. shame though. but hey - free wood :)

[quote name='Huwberry' post='456671' date='Apr 7 2009, 06:29 PM']The scratchplate really adds another dimension to it - very nice shape. Can't wait to see the finished product![/quote]

+1

that forarm contours very sharp, though.

Edited by LWTAIT

[quote name='LWTAIT' post='458790' date='Apr 9 2009, 08:29 PM']+1

that forarm contours very sharp, though.[/quote]

thanks for the comments guys! Im going to start to paint it tomorrow. See what you mean about the forarm contour, but i assure you the angle is the same as my mex p bass, the blend radius is sharper though, giving the impression that the angle breaks back hard, but i have had it strung up and played it like this, and it is perfectly comfortable. im usign a tighter rad all over than on modern p basses to give more of a "slab" p bass look. my fender has 3/8" - 1/2" rad all round, this has aprox 1/8".

Im in and out of the garage paining and sanding.

Guess what I forgot to do.............

................grain filler!

Oh its made it such hard work to get a smooth primer coat down. Have nearly got it spot on now. Just going to get some lasinol - polyester filler paint stuff - from work tomorrow which should do the job nicely before I start on the colour coats.

What a tit though. I knew I'd forgotten to do it about five minutes into painting on the first coat.

Oh well, I won't be doing that again...