Why become a member? ×

String identity question. Dunlops?

lownote

I need help ID-ing the flatwounds on my secondhand Revelation. I like them so much I want to buy a set for my Portamento.  Feel like .45-.105 gauge, brass ball ends (no multicolour here), short black silks both ends.  The silks seem quite tight and resist going fluffy.  It's a  cheap bass so can't imagine the previous owner spent a fortune on the strings but who knows. Gotta vague feeling they may be Dunlop 45-105... ?

IMG_2454.JPG

IMG_2455.JPG

Edited by lownote12

On 03/01/2021 at 18:10, lownote12 said:

brass ball ends (no multicolour here), short black silks both ends.  

My Dunlop flats (great strings!) purchased in 2020  have coloured ball-ends, with alternating gold, black, and silver.

Yours might be a couple of years old (completely reasonable for flats). Seems to have been changed in 2018? http://lifestyle.jimdunlop.com/new-packaging-for-dunlop-strings/

FWIW mine also have a different silk length:

PXL_20210107_104521267.800.jpg

30 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

FWIW mine also have a different silk length:

Ah... but mine is a five-string, so if I move each string down one, I'd need more turns to get the string up to pitch, so I'd have less silk showing... I think??  

I've got Dunlop flats on both my P Basses. The first set I bought has some sort of coating on the black silks so that they don't fray, but the second set, bought from the same shop, don't have the coating. I was a bit annoyed, because the coating is a great idea IMO.

• Like 1