Why become a member? ×

Blown Speaker

jw54

Hi Dave

I've just been given a Behringer BA210 cab and one of the speakers has blown. What I want to know is what is the cheapest way to fix the problem?
The drivers are 250W at 4 ohms - I don't know whether they are connected in series or parallel - and a new Bugera aluminium cone replacement is £75. Could I replace both speakers with Celestions (200W at 8ohms and for £30 each) or is it possible to actually glue/repair the cone?

Thanks

John

[quote name='jw54' post='440312' date='Mar 20 2009, 02:30 PM']Hi Dave

I've just been given a Behringer BA210 cab and one of the speakers has blown. What I want to know is what is the cheapest way to fix the problem?
The drivers are 250W at 4 ohms - I don't know whether they are connected in series or parallel - and a new Bugera aluminium cone replacement is £75. Could I replace both speakers with Celestions (200W at 8ohms and for £30 each) or is it possible to actually glue/repair the cone?

Thanks

John[/quote]

You need to know how the existing speakers are wired and what impedance they are before we can work out what to do. I expect that if the cab is 4R then it's two 8R speakers wired in parallel, if so then why not just replace the blown speaker with a Celestion?

Checked the Behringer website and the speakers must be in series (2 x 4 ohms = 8 ohms). I think I'll try and patch the speaker up first and if it doesn't work I think I have 3 options:
1. Remove the speaker completely, leaving a single 4 ohm speaker with 250W output
2. Replace the speaker with an 8 ohm celestion - not sure what that will give as the total impedance of the cab
3. Replace both speakers with either 2 x 8ohm or 2 x 16 ohm in parallel - this should give a total impedance of 4 ohm or 8 ohm.

Any suggestions or views?

Don't put different impedance speakers in, its not just the total thats important, one speaker will be working twice as hard if its half the impedance of the other.Not sure its econoic to replace both speakers in a Behringer, unless you score cheap second hand speakers.

If you download the software WinISD, it will model what different speakers will sound like in different sized/tuned boxes.

You may not be able to feed in the parameters for the Behringer units, but you will be able to model the Celestion units, in a box that size, with ports like you have (if you have them). This will tell you whether you are heading for a smooth sound, or a honky resonant sound.

I'd also suggest checking whether you have a plywood box or a chipboard / MDF box before you decide whether to throw more money at it. It may feel heavy and high quality because it has speakers with small magnets in an MDF enclosure.

[quote name='jw54' post='447709' date='Mar 27 2009, 08:29 PM']I'll do that if my Frankenstein experiments don't work :)[/quote]

Whatever you do don't give anyone any money for Behringer drivers! Sensitivity, frequency response and power handling are very poor and failure rate (particularly their aluminium cone models) appears very high.

Alex