Why become a member? ×

Fender Cabronita or American Standard V Jazz Bass

Kasin

Hi,

I'm thinking about taking up playing again after around 5 years of break. Initially, I wanted to spend around £600 on my bass, but when I started looking for one, I found two local ads for 13' Cabronita (£450) and 95' American Standard V (£1000) Jazz Basses.

Both come with cases. I like the look and the colour of Standard way more and it seems to be in a better shape (less dings and dents). The fifth string is a nice addition, but not necessary for the type of music I'm playing (Jamiroquai, Vulfpeck, a little bit of Rush, Muse).

Considering I'm not actively playing in a band now (hope to join one though) and don't need it for studio recording anytime soon, which one would be a better deal for me? I'd love to get the ASV and I've got enough money for it, but I'm not sure if it's worth spending over twice as much as on Cabronita in my situation.

Never played any of those models before (I'm a bit rusty anyway) and would like to avoid unnecessary travel to test them. All comments welcome, thank you.

Cheers,

Kasin

42 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

The Jazz will be more versatile, and given its a better known model will probably be easier to move on should you not get on with it.

This.

The Cabronita is a cool bass for sure, but you’ll get a way broader palette of tones out of the Jazz.

Also, when you do eventually join a band and find yourself needing to transpose songs for whatever reason (into a more comfortable key for the vocalist, for example) you’ll find the 5th string to be a life saver.

8 minutes ago, Grahambythesea said:

Jazz is a better investment, there’s a reason Fender don’t make the Cabronita anymore.

Bit harsh, they do limited runs of stuff (sandblasted for example), but I sort of know what you mean.

You need a bit of patience to tease out the goodness of the fidelitron pick up, it’s a bit low output,  but you have the option of upgrading to a TV Jones Filtertron, probably a lollar or T bird type pick up and do any routing you fancy.

Its well made and that neck despite being on the wide side at the nut has a shallow profile and is very playable