Why become a member? ×

NBD - MTD Kingston KZ4

Silky999

66562C5F-67B1-40BD-B4DB-8F2D4B95FF8F.thumb.jpeg.bb934bb1d2ea0442777d6ba0e660a017.jpeg

Picking this up on Saturday as an early 50th present to myself. I’ve already ordered a Delano Sonar 3 to go in it as the main gripe seems to be the weak electronics. That was recommended by Mark at Bassdirect as it apparently it’s a very neutral tone to the preamp and not as aggressive as a OBP 3. I’m sure he’s knows what he’s talking about as they seem to be the main dealer for MTD in the UK. I also didn’t want to go the Bartolini route which is what I believe most do with these basses.

I’ve yet to play it so hoping that it all gels when I go to pick it up as I’m going on looks and research on the internet due to it being in a shop some hours away. I’ve heard the neck is asymmetrical which will be a first for me. I just need to decide on what strings to use. Has anyone strung one of these with flats and if so, did it cut the mustard as it were? Any opinions gratefully received.

Edited by Silky999
  • Like 4

Thanks folks....I will report back when I’ve hopefully picked it up today. I’m a little concerned about fitting the Delano preamp as I’ve ordered the extra passive/active treble/tone pot so will need to add a capacitor and some wiring. From the diagram, it looks like one prong of the capacitor is soldered to a lug on the pot and the other to the top of the pot as an earth..have I got that right? Also I need to earth the pots, would lining the surface the pots sit against with copper foil be sufficient or do I need to actually run an earth wire off the base of the pot to the foil?

23361505-DAA8-4B32-85C9-C26FB7B06BF3.thumb.jpeg.c3a729771f7801fa7d446e2552e34ffd.jpegSo I picked the bass up today and initial impressions are; what a fantastic neck!  The action is low and it felt just right straight of the bat. The bass is a Nov 2008 according to serial number and is in mint condition. It doesn’t look like it’s ever been gigged. My only very slight grip is the output of the stock pickups and preamp is low which married up with comments on here and elsewhere.  I will try the Delano preamp first and see if that improves the gain. There’s nothing wrong with the tone, it’s just needing my amp gain turned nearly all the way up to get anywhere  near clipping. I will start researching pickups just in case......

Edited by Silky999

17 hours ago, JohnR said:

I installed a set of the same Bartolini pickups used in the MTD USA basses. The bridge was a drop in replacement but the neck was too big for the cavity and I had to do a bit of woodwork to make it fit. 

Are we talking a bit of sanding or something more heavy duty? I don’t mind a little light fettling to get it to fit but not anything more than that because I’m clumsy

oh and has anyone experience of flat wounds on these basses?

Edited by Silky999