Why become a member? ×

Articulate speech of the heart

bass_ferret

Articulate is a word I use to describe the sound I get from my basses and rig. I think its a great word and a much better description than "hi fi" that has overtones of sterility. It means clear, comprehensible, distinct; to rip off my dictionary. In common with lots of bass players I have had a long drawn out conflict with the other guys in the band cos I am too loud. The reason I was too loud was so I could hear what I was playing.

Since I got my GB basses and EBS followed by Genz Benz rigs, I can hear what I have been playing much more clearly and consequently I have rarely been asked to turn down. In fact, on occasions the guys in the band have reluctantly told me I am not loud enough :)

Thats not to say you need this gear to be articulate. Jamerson was articulate with a P bass and flats, firstly because of his superb technique and also because the bass was so high in the mix on Motown records, something that made the records stand out at the time and in away was responsible for the bass coming to be such a significant part of the sound of modern music.

Having said that, gear that helps bass players articulate is very useful in the Dog And Duck, much more so than at Wembley Stadium. I know that lots of players dont like a sound that helps them articulate and after all that is a matter of individual choice. I used to be much the same until the fateful day when I met Bernie, played one of his basses through an EBS rig, and completely changed my outlook on bass.

Anyway I thought it would be interesting to discuss this rather than doing mixing cabs and how does walnut sound different to alder all over again :rolleyes:

I think you are talking about fitting into a sonic pocket.....And it can take a lifetime to find it...

Think how Jamerson had it,he came from the upright players perspective,where you HAD to make the instrument work....you were the volume..you were the tone,and there was no hiding the fact....

I feel I would have rather learnt the Bass that way!

I would hope that my rig could be described as 'punchy' (Warwick > Boogie > two SWR 4x10 cabs)

I play in a pretty loud one guitar band and I need to get my sound to be heard thru a mix comprising of a loud frenetic guitar player, drums, vocal harmonies, etc

I want people to feel the bottom end but hear the top frequencies. My job is to create a balanced sound out front and to fill the spaces left by playing in what is essentially a three piece

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='439654' date='Mar 19 2009, 08:05 PM']Thats not to say you need this gear to be articulate. Jamerson was articulate with a P bass and flats, firstly because of his superb technique and also because the bass was so high in the mix on Motown records, something that made the records stand out at the time and in away was responsible for the bass coming to be such a significant part of the sound of modern music.[/quote]

You raise an interesting point especially regarding the articulation of Jamerson who's gear was to die for IMO, a nice beefy, 60s P through a weighty ampeg.

It is precisely the articulation of the rhythmic aspect of his playing that draws people unconsciously and consciously to the music. He grooved so hard and whilst playing very diversly, and the fact that as well as a monster groover he had a great sense of melody and counter melody all wrapped up in a supreme ability to never get in the way of what went on above him.
It goes beyond accuracy, and cleverness, and technique it is musical, and indeed articulate and it came mostly from the man.

That said my current gear provides me with exactly the same feeling as you describe of comfortably hearing, and more importantly feeling, what I am playing. My Alembic has such a hefty kick in the bottom, I played it direct to PA in the indigo2 (02 arena) and it shook the room without interfering with the song.

[quote name='ARGH' post='439671' date='Mar 19 2009, 08:19 PM']I think you are talking about fitting into a sonic pocket.....And it can take a lifetime to find it...

Think how Jamerson had it,he came from the upright players perspective,where you HAD to make the instrument work....you were the volume..you were the tone,and there was no hiding the fact....

I feel I would have rather learnt the Bass that way![/quote]

I also meant to say that...

I have always felt that playing upright has taught me how to [i]work[/i] an instrument so when you amplify it just adds something.

My new rig has changed my perspective completely, MB SA450 and 2xAE 112 Bergs. I hardly use effects anymore, just a bit of wah and phlange when our 2 guitar players double up on keyboards and I am the only "guitar" on certain tracks. Im picking my lines more carefully and really enjoying my new found clarity in the mix. It has moved my playing on again which is always a good thing. By far the best sound I have got is through my bog standard 97 Jazz. I tried a super Nordy bass through it and although it was a lovely guitar wouldnt have swapped it for my old reliable jazz.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='440020' date='Mar 20 2009, 09:20 AM']One thing I have noticed with Jamerson, he is always looking at his fingers at what he is playing. All the pictures show this and the live clip of him playing with Marvin.[/quote]

I have seen that live clip and thought he was looking at music on a music stand roughly at waist height, next to Marvin's piano.

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='439767' date='Mar 19 2009, 09:39 PM']My new rig has changed my perspective completely, MB SA450 and 2xAE 112 Bergs. I hardly use effects anymore, just a bit of wah and phlange when our 2 guitar players double up on keyboards and I am the only "guitar" on certain tracks. Im picking my lines more carefully and really enjoying my new found clarity in the mix. It has moved my playing on again which is always a good thing. By far the best sound I have got is through my bog standard 97 Jazz. I tried a super Nordy bass through it and although it was a lovely guitar wouldnt have swapped it for my old reliable jazz.[/quote]

I experienced the same thing when I got my rig, which is ever so similar to yours!

Also since getting the Roscoe I've finally got into having more depth as well as punch, largely because it seems not to sacrifice articulation in any way for depth, unlike every other deeper bass/rig combination I have ever played.

Up until the Roscoe I was really into that burpy bridge pickup tone of the Vester, but the Roscoe has amazing neck pickup grindy P tones going on too, which are at the same time really deep and really growly. Now I'm spoilt for choice with the one instrument - its brilliant!

I've never been a fan of toppy or scooped tones, but I do like the articulation around 800Hz a lot, and the harmonic richness of newer strings. Having said all that in a band situation I find I'm using less and less tweeter these days, preferring the top end of the 10s over the much higher up top end of the tweeter. Its set right for me if you only realise its there at all when I pop a note, the rest of the time I like it to seem like the tweeter isnt on at all....