Why become a member? ×

GR i6 IEMs

ped

Has anyone tried these? I’ve got a friend who can get me some cheap. Think they might be quite good in conjunction with Backbeat. 

I always use headphones at home and studio and last time I played live I used Shure e2C which I used to really like. 

Cheers 

ped

Never tried them - but for a triple driver, they seem to be good value for money. Whether they will be as good in terms of headroom as something like a ZS10, I'd probably question that. They (the GR i6) will probably will sound better (assuming that they have been designed properly)... so it's going to be a trade off between headroom and heading towards a nicer tuned IEM... but there's not a great deal to go on in terms of reviews or my experience with them. The only thing that I can find, is that the drivers are 2x bass, 1x treble (as opposed to a bass, mid, treble) so you may get the headroom in the low but you may end up with an inherently smiley face EQ - but that can actually be very pleasant for bass, depending upon the style of music you play.

If you were happy with an E2C, I suspect you will notice an improvement as the i6 should give you a better low end response. I would be interested in the driver type in there - if they are dual dynamics and single balanced armature, they could be really good fun, as they would follow the same sort of design as the UE6... which are an immense IEM for bass players. Im a bit disappointed in the lack of info on the GR Bass IEMS to be honest - there's pretty much nothing out there about the specs. GR Bass aren't going to be taken that seriously in the IEM market unless they start divulging that kind of information. 

If you can get a good deal on them, they are probably worth a punt. They look decently made and comfortable enough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, me!

I bought a set of the GR i6 from Bass Direct and also have a pair of the ZS10' Pro's. The only comparison I can make between them is for listening to music at the moment and not as IEM so this may / may not help.

Both pairs are a comfy fit for me and dont fall out even when moving around. Isolation from external sound seems the same.

Cables - ZS10 comes with a good quality braided cable with 2 pin connections. The GR's are also good quality cables, but a bit lighter/thinner and include both a braided and a smooth cable, both with round (rotatable) connections. The GR comes with a protective case the ZS10 doesn't.

Sound - ZS10's I can turn up really (too) loud without them distorting. Full bass sound without overpowering like some "fashion" headphones do even at lower volume where it usually fades. GR's are slightly quieter at the same volume setting and don't quite have the depth of bass the ZR10's do but are overall clearer for listening to detail. Again no distortion at volume. This is a direct A/B comparison playing the same tracks and hot swapping the phones.

Build - I like the cable connections on the GR's more that the pins of the ZR10's, they just seem a bit more substantial especially if used as IEM. The fit and finish on both are really nice and well done. The GR's feel slightly lighter but that might be due to the lighter cable I mentioned.

Price - GR's retail at £190 but I paid £150 at BD. The ZR10's cost me £40.

Which would I go for?.......drum roll......although they are more expensive I would go for the GR's as the overall sound, fit, finish, cables & case is the better. Glad I only paid £150 though as £190 would be pushing it for me (Yorkshireman living in Scotland, you know the stereotype...."frugally sentitive" 🤣🤣). Are they 4 times better than the ZR10's? No and I would have quite happily continued using them. They are very good value for the money.

Hope this helps. 🙂

Edited by Acebassmusic
Spilling misteaks.
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ped said:

Thanks both for the really detailed replies. The ZS10 look really good for the money - I didn't know about them. There are a few varieties on Amazon; I’m tempted to give them a try...

You'd be hard pushed to get something better than the ZS10 for the money. They aren't the most honest sounding IEM - but if you are super critical, you have loads of headroom in them to put an EQ in front of them. Most people won't even realise - it's only when you start ABing IEMS next to each other that this kinda stuff becomes apparent.

• Like 1

+1 for the ZS10's @ped

I bought them as back up for my UE Triple-Fi 10 IEMS, and IMO they are nothing short of amazing for the price.

I'd seen @EBS_freaks mentioning of the ZS10's on here and bought mine from Amazon, it included two years insurance for them too, IIRC around £10 which included damage - so for £40 odd they were well worth the money IMO.

• Thanks 1

Ok they just arrived and I’ve had a very quick play straight out of the box.

They definitely sound a little scooped but not outrageously so, as EBS said I can EQ that out to a degree. However the main use of these will be from my Backbeat rumble pack where I’ll appreciate some sparkle on the otherwise raw signal. When I’m using an amp anyway they help protect my ears plus give me a clear bass signal at a low volume so they should work nicely. 

Im having a jam with my brother at Xmas so I’ll get to try them properly and report back. 

Did you burn yours in at all, the instructions are in Chinglish and as a result I can’t tell if they’re saying to do it for five mins or something else!

Cheers

• 1 year later...

Hi mate tbh I haven’t used them much and not for a while. I’ve been using over ear cans for so long that they felt a bit weird at first but for use live they should be just the ticket. I’ll make sure I take them next time and give them a whirl.