Why become a member? ×

Longest scale length ever!

BottomEndian

Check out the [url="http://fleabass.com/page8.html"]Fleabass website[/url], and click on one of the Model 32 basses to view the specs.

The phrases "[i]43" scale length[/i]" and "[i]play beautifully[/i]" surely don't belong in the same sentence...

And it's quite a leap down to the 30" Junior version.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='438315' date='Mar 18 2009, 02:54 PM']Check out the [url="http://fleabass.com/page8.html"]Fleabass website[/url], and click on one of the Model 32 basses to view the specs.

The phrases "[i]43" scale length[/i]" and "[i]play beautifully[/i]" surely don't belong in the same sentence...

And it's quite a leap down to the 30" Junior version.[/quote]

Sounds like a BGM scale length to me.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='438362' date='Mar 18 2009, 03:45 PM']If it was BGM they would say "43in scale lentgh, allowing for a passable Marcus Miller impression".[/quote]

Or similarly, "This P bass is great, it sounds so Marcus"

[quote name='rbatts2000' post='438344' date='Mar 18 2009, 03:26 PM']I've got a feeling they've got the '4' and the '3' the wrong way round...[/quote]

could be, or they typed each number one number ot the right, so 43 rather than 32. after all, its called the model 32

[quote name='tauzero' post='440139' date='Mar 20 2009, 11:37 AM']Considering the carnage that would have ensued had they typed ' instead of ", it's fairly minor.[/quote]
Now there's a challenge. 43' scale length. That's 29 inches from nut to first fret. Try playing one-finger-per-fret on that. :)

I can't even manage OFPF in first position on 34"...

[quote name='The Funk' post='441470' date='Mar 22 2009, 01:51 AM'][quote name='BottomEndian' post='440190' date='Mar 20 2009, 12:13 PM']
I can't even manage OFPF in first position on 34"...[/quote]
You're not supposed to. Your third and fourth fingers are supposed to double up.
[/quote]
Only if you've got really really girlie hands. I've got fairly girlie hands (glove size - 9. Mrs Zero's glove size - 9) and I can do OFPF in 2nd position (I have no need to do it in first but I'm sure I could).

[quote name='tauzero' post='445705' date='Mar 26 2009, 09:26 AM']Only if you've got really really girlie hands. I've got fairly girlie hands (glove size - 9. Mrs Zero's glove size - 9) and I can do OFPF in 2nd position (I have no need to do it in first but I'm sure I could).[/quote]
Sir, them's not girly hands. I'm a glove size 7.

Thankfully, years of piano-playing have paid off with a huge stretch between ring and pinky (plenty of Rachmaninov helps), so I should be able to work up to OFPF, even on my 35" scale.

Anyone can do one finger per fret in the first position if they pivot around their thumb. I can and I don't have huge hands and play a 36" scale - however I only play OFPF when I have to, the rest of the time the four fingers are across three frets, it's groovier that way baby.

Alex

[quote name='tauzero' post='445705' date='Mar 26 2009, 09:26 AM']You're not supposed to. Your third and fourth fingers are supposed to double up.

Only if you've got really really girlie hands. I've got fairly girlie hands (glove size - 9. Mrs Zero's glove size - 9) and I can do OFPF in 2nd position (I have no need to do it in first but I'm sure I could).[/quote]

MB1. :)
"Hand in Glove!...The sun shines out of our behinds!"....

Edited by MB1

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='445754' date='Mar 26 2009, 10:22 AM']Glove sizes?

What century are you fellas from?[/quote]
Gloves are an important part of a motorcyclist's attire. In order to purchase a glove of the optimum dimensions, one may refer to the standardised "size" of the glove, and thence proceed to purchase the item wherein the size marked accords with the dimensions of one's own anatomy.