Why become a member? ×

Joni Mitchell's albums ranked. Discuss

Dad3353

13 minutes ago, EMG456 said:

Late to this as usual- do all you guys not do anything else? 😀

Joni fan since the 1970s here- my all time favourite artist.

The Guardian falling into all the usual time-honoured traps with JM - a nostalgia for the "simpler" times when Joni was a west coast acoustic guitar playing singer songwriter in the mould of Dylan, James Taylor etc.

My all time favourite Joni Album is... Chalkmark in a Rainstorm! Heresy, I know but it has everything - great storytelling, performances, collaborations, arrangements, production. 

Truth is, whatever album Joni released over most of her career is likely to have been one of the best released in that year. An amazing career and portfolio of work.

Yep, I love "Chalkmark..."! It's one I should have mentioned in a previous post. The opening track, My Secret Place, with Peter Gabriel is a masterpiece on it's own. I.M.H.O. :)

• Like 2

Shall have to revisit those later releases ... got a bit stuck on the middle years ( aka the "stupid girl" phase ).

No one like Don Juan's reckless Daughter then?  Don't think I've ever made it through all of Paprika Plains ... but there are good bits in there. Weird Guitar tunings and one, otherwise great, track where Jaco just fails to think up a bass line. 

1 hour ago, NickA said:

Shall have to revisit those later releases ... got a bit stuck on the middle years ( aka the "stupid girl" phase ).

No one like Don Juan's reckless Daughter then?  Don't think I've ever made it through all of Paprika Plains ... but there are good bits in there. Weird Guitar tunings and one, otherwise great, track where Jaco just fails to think up a bass line. 

I quite like Don Juan’s Reckless Daughter. Re. Paprika Plains, the final three-odd minutes are great - Wayne Shorter plays beautifully over that rolling groove.

I also really like the (non) bass line Jaco does on the title track - great feel, even when he’s not really playing anything! For me, it fits the track perfectly and not really something that many other bassists would come up with, whether he couldn’t think of anything else or not!!