Jump to content

Future Impact vs C4 Synth


AinsleyWalker
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, SumOne said:

They are probably similar enough so I'm not sure why I want one in place of the C4

They do some things similarly but there’s plenty that each does that the other can’t. Totally worth having both. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

They do some things similarly but there’s plenty that each does that the other can’t. Totally worth having both. 

Yeah, in an ideal world I would have both but I think budget and board space probably limits me to one or the other (although also have my eye on the Future Compact re-housing so that might help with board space - but not budget!). From what I can tell, the C4 is perhaps better for envelope filters and potential for stereo sound whereas the FI is a bit better at the Moog type synths and more in-depth editing? 

I've put my C4 up for sale which is perhaps a bit premature as I think I'll buy a 2nd hand FI (a couple for sale on here for similar sort of price to the C4) to test them side by side to hopefully whittle it down to one or the other. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, SumOne said:

Yeah, in an ideal world I would have both but I think budget and board space probably limits me to one or the other (although also have my eye on the Future Compact re-housing so that might help with board space - but not budget!). From what I can tell, the C4 is perhaps better for envelope filters and potential for stereo sound whereas the FI is a bit better at the Moog type synths and more in-depth editing? 

I've put my C4 up for sale which is perhaps a bit premature as I think I'll buy a 2nd hand FI (a couple for sale on here for similar sort of price to the C4) to test them side by side to hopefully whittle it down to one or the other. 

It totally depends on your use. For synth stuff, the FI is the winner. For envelope filter stuff,  the C4 is superior. If the C4 ever gets full ADSR, some pulse width modulation, more than two instances of a given waveform and a better pitch and filter vibrato implementation then it’ll be a different story.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, to ballance the Basschat force I've lost a C4 and gained a Future Impact.

A bit early to say which I prefer, there's not a whole lot in it all things considered. I think I prefer the FI synth sounds but the C4 envelope filters. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, SumOne said:

...I think I prefer the FI synth sounds but the C4 envelope filters. 

On 05/07/2021 at 13:33, Quatschmacher said:

For synth stuff, the FI is the winner. For envelope filter stuff,  the C4 is superior. 

There you go, sounds like you're both in perfect agreement! :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, SumOne said:

It'd take a braver person than me to contradict @Quatschmacher when it comes to FI and C4!

I think he has always truly loved the FI best 😉

And tbf if the manual and interface were half as good as they are now after a couple of years dedicated work by him, I almost certainly would have held onto mine. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi I've not managed to scratch the surface in terms of using the editor, but one sound I've loved for years is Cass Lewis' effect on Twisted by Skunk Anansie. 

I've no idea if the C4 is even the right pedal for getting close to this sound - it sounds like an envelope filter to me, but I've never heard a normal filter pedal that can get anywhere near this tone, for want of a better word it just sounds so 'wet'! 

For those effects gurus what am I hearing here, is it a filter? A filtered synth? I've read that he used to use a Korg G5, would that be what he's using on this track? If anyone fancies having a stab at recreating this effect on the C4 (if it's possible) that would be awesome! Thanks in advance...
 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Brian45 said:

Hi I've not managed to scratch the surface in terms of using the editor, but one sound I've loved for years is Cass Lewis' effect on Twisted by Skunk Anansie. 

I've no idea if the C4 is even the right pedal for getting close to this sound - it sounds like an envelope filter to me, but I've never heard a normal filter pedal that can get anywhere near this tone, for want of a better word it just sounds so 'wet'! 

For those effects gurus what am I hearing here, is it a filter? A filtered synth? I've read that he used to use a Korg G5, would that be what he's using on this track? If anyone fancies having a stab at recreating this effect on the C4 (if it's possible) that would be awesome! Thanks in advance...
 

 

 

Sounds pretty straightforward (and very much like one of the original Deep Impact sounds, which are available in the FI). Sounds like it might just be an envelope filter with high resonance applied to a distorted bass signal, with some of the original distorted signal mixed in. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Sounds pretty straightforward (and very much like one of the original Deep Impact sounds, which are available in the FI). Sounds like it might just be an envelope filter with high resonance applied to a distorted bass signal, with some of the original distorted signal mixed in. 

Agreed: I can get pretty close to that with my Proton Mk4 (2020) so an envelope filter is very much at the core of that sound. Even closer with a synth patch overlaid from a cheap-as-chips Zoom B1-4! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yep I think your right, will have a play and see if I can get close. Think there’s a couple of deep impact sounds on the Nero page, will have a tweak, now I know where to start.. thanks :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...