Why become a member? ×

Dingwall NG3 - 5 or 6 string?

SimonSaysUK

NG3 - Question is, which one feels more natural to the dingwall design and features. 

I've always loved the 5 string models and have never been fortunate enough to try the 6er. I wonder whether the neck will feel too chunky on the 6, as Dingwall like a bit of chonk to the neck. 

Anyone with experience of both that could lend me their opinion? 

14 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

I have minimal experience with Dingwalls, but... definitely get the 6! 

Once you've gone 6, 5 just seems lacking. If you're on the fence, I'd say go 6 sir. 

If you don't like it, sell it to me, I've got £15 and a bag of Wotsits with your name on it. 

Screw the bass, I'm sold on the Wotsits 

24 minutes ago, SimonSaysUK said:

NG3 - Question is, which one feels more natural to the dingwall design and features. 

I've always loved the 5 string models and have never been fortunate enough to try the 6er. I wonder whether the neck will feel too chunky on the 6, as Dingwall like a bit of chonk to the neck. 

I think both BUT tapping and chord playing where you can really utilize a 6ers potential can be tricky up above the 12nd fret or at least it was on my Canadian Dingwall AB5. Up there the frets are fanning in a way that wasn't naturally serving the position of by fretting hand (left) for chords and tapping did get some time to be adjusted. Funny because adjusting to playing fanned fret basses in band / song setting was about 5 mins (where I mostly play on the money end of the neck 🙂 )

Also Dingwall has 18mm spacing on the sixers as well IIRC so there is a certain width to the neck which might be too much for some. My above mentioned AB5 had some of the best becks I 've ever tried so who knows?

• Like 1

@Machines - I've seen that Gear4music are selling all of their RedSub Coliseum 6 basses at a reduced price as it seems the manufacturer lied about the spec. They were advertised as having a roasted maple neck and it seems it's actually just a thin lacquer coat to give the impression of roasted maple. 

If you paid full whack for yours, you might be entitled to some money back! 

45 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

@Machines - I've seen that Gear4music are selling all of their RedSub Coliseum 6 basses at a reduced price as it seems the manufacturer lied about the spec. They were advertised as having a roasted maple neck and it seems it's actually just a thin lacquer coat to give the impression of roasted maple. 

If you paid full whack for yours, you might be entitled to some money back! 

Thanks, however I already got a discount due to it being ex-demo (it is the one on the website and YouTube vids) and to be honest, roasted maple or not - it was still a stupid price without any discount.