Why become a member? ×

Custom KINAL (s) - pair of 5's fretted + fretless

eubassix

Hope this constitutes a bona-fide 'feeler' (as there seems to have been some issues, of late) !
Recently involved in a couple of potential trade deals on these, but things are not progressing so thought I'd post here to gauge interest, with the understanding that there has been previous interest which might be rekindled.
Also, I'd prefer to sell as a pair (they are obviously different in many ways: but do very much have the same feel, design and quality) - OR, hold onto them unless I can find an independent buyer for each (i.e. if not sold as a pair).
They're not seen so much in the UK but are great basses: very reminiscent (IMHO) of the MTD concept.
I have lots more photos but don't want to place too many here, so PM (email address) if you'd like more or specifics.

[b]Kinal MK-5[/b]: Mike Kinal (Canada) five string with a beautiful quilt maple top in an amber stain. Matching head stock (quilt/amber) with a very nice birds-eye maple cap to the rear. Alder body core. Ebony fingerboard on maple + five-piece neck with graphite reinforcement. 2 Aero jazz pickups with Bartolini preamp, 3EQ and 3-way midrange selector switch. Scale length is 35", 1&11/16" nut. String spacing is 9mm at the nut and 17mm at the bridge. Weight is 8 & 3/4 lbs.
Great condition - the only significant 'ding' (no effect on playing) is a small (.5cm) to the side (only) of the ebony board, between frets 1 and 2 (below the G-string). This is one of the best constructed, 'all-purpose' basses I've ever played. Slaps well, is punchy for rock and can also produce more mellow tones
It comes with a high-quality gig-bag and the unique, wooden tuning peg winder (this one in a matching quilt maple!) as supplied with all Kinal basses.
+ Custom-built [b]Kinal MK5-B[/b], 5 string fretless bass. Also has a 35” scale length, 5A curly maple top, ebony accent layer, and a matching curly maple headstock. The body has a very light and resonant swamp ash tone wood and is quite acoustically loud for a solid body bass. It is also light for a bass of this nature . The bolt on neck is figured maple with a high grade ebony fingerboard coated with boat epoxy and maple fret lines. This neck combination (very similar to the Pedulla 'Buzz' concept) really makes this bass 'sing'. All hardware & switches are Gold. The neck position (Gary) Willis playing ramp is removable but the small ramp between pickups 2 & 3 is not. The rear control cavity cover is wood and the side mounted jack is ebony inlaid and gold plated. All the screws in the control cavity and Willis ramp are inlaid nut inserts. The bass has a Bartolini NTMB-F preamp and 3 Bartolini humbucking pickups. The knobs are for volume, pan, treble, mids, bass. The switches are for preamp bypass, 3 position mid frequency centre switch and a pickup control switch for the pan knob. The pickup control switch works like this. In position #1, the bridge and middle pickup signals are sent to the pan pot to blend their outputs. In position #2, the bridge and neck pickups are blendable. And in Position #3, the middle and neck pickups are blendable. This is a unique feature that allows you to get all best fretless sounds with ultimate control. Excellent condition with minimal playing wear. There are no large dings on the instrument, and any other imperfections are very minor.
Pricing (feeler): I'd like to get about £SOLD for the fretted and £1499 o.n.o for the fretless (which was a custom build and has several unique features). As a pair - £2450
As a guide, current USA (direct) prices would be about $2350 and $2950 respectively.
Each comes with a gig-bag.

Edited by eubassix

[quote name='Shockwave' post='437560' date='Mar 17 2009, 05:12 PM']...fretless is lovely! Just what i am looking for as well! ...[/quote]

Thanks Rob: the FL is truly exceptional (although the fretted is quite something too!) - it's the newer of the two (although I got it before the fretted) and is a great 'concept ' fretless, with the triple Bart's and EQ/p-up switching.

Actually, I did PM you (March 9th & 10th) about this one when you first placed your 'Wanted FL5' post .. but possibly lost in the ether...

[quote name='eubassix' post='437803' date='Mar 17 2009, 09:08 PM']Thanks Rob: the FL is truly exceptional (although the fretted is quite something too!) - it's the newer of the two (although I got it before the fretted) and is a great 'concept ' fretless, with the triple Bart's and EQ/p-up switching.

Actually, I did PM you (March 9th & 10th) about this one when you first placed your 'Wanted FL5' post .. but possibly lost in the ether...[/quote]

Ahh i forgot about that, I didnt have the sorta money that was being asked for unfortunately :) Even more so now!

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm ... thought I'd give this a bit of a kick/bump, as despite a lot of initial interest it's all gone quiet over here.
Would still prefer to sell as a pair (as original post / OBO).
Individually, I'd be willing to come down a bit on the fretted bass or to entertain some quality p/ex (trade) on this one. The FL will, I think, sell without too much trouble.

If I can't sort something with these, then may have to keep them and - instead- sell my Marleaux Signature's (fretted + FL 4's). .. which will be a great loss (and expensive to buy). These are about €4k each now, so would be looking for around £4500 ono for the pair (!)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=15781&hl=marleaux"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...amp;hl=marleaux[/url]

... better to go for the Kinals really!.. 2 more strings and about half-the-price ?!

• 2 weeks later...

Lots (more) interest in the Fretless (less so in the fretted bass).

Willing to let go for a sensible offer for the PAIR .. or if I can get a decent offer coinciding, independently, for each.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='mr_russ' post='490799' date='May 17 2009, 07:56 PM']I do like the look of the fretted I must say ;D[/quote]

... there's been greater interest in the fretless TBH, possibly due to a fairly unique (and very effective) p/up + switches + EQ.. but the fretted bass is (also) exceptional.
Thanks for the bump/comment & let me know if you're keen to pursue it !!

• 2 weeks later...

BUMP / reminder that these basses are still available.
Had some (seemingly) serious trade/£ offers on the fretted bass, but these have gone nowhere .. so plan to sell separately - initially here, then I'll try on ebay.
There was a lot on interest in the fretless bass when first posted - I'd be willing to sell that one (alone) now, as there seems to be lots more in the fretted bass in its own right.
Both basses are exceptional and have the same quality of build, sound and playablity. They feel very similar - so do make an great pair: but it seems they're more likely to sell independently.
Close offers invited on the intial post/pricing.