Why become a member? ×

Yorkshire Bass Shops

Musicman20

Ok....so just wondering on the best place for Bass gear in Yorkshire....close to Leeds as possible if you know any.

I don't live in Leeds but i'm there all the time for work/study so its probs the most central place to go.

I have bought stuff from PMT in the past, but they are taking ages with getting back to me on prices and stock....I thought there was a credit crunch on?! Don't they want to sell me anything?!

Cheers

Edited by Musicman20

Guest subaudio

[quote name='Musicman20' post='437101' date='Mar 17 2009, 12:18 PM']Ok....so just wondering on the best place for Bass gear in Yorkshire....close to Leeds as possible if you know any.

I don't live in Leeds but i'm there all the time for work/study so its probs the most central place to go.

I have bought stuff from PMT in the past, but they are taking ages with getting back to me on prices and stock....I thought there was a credit crunch on?! Don't they want to sell me anything?!

Cheers[/quote]

I always used to go to Electromusic in Doncaster when I lived up north, they were very good then but havent been in a good while.

Sorry to say it, but usually wherever's cheapest on t'interweb [family to feed].

I've found PMT to be very helpful but slow. They sent my bass back to Peavey to have the preamp replaced under warranty even though they didn't sell me the bass - very pleasant but not quick in despatching it. They had a good selection of giggable basses to try when I was there [not just the cheapest like some shops].

Yeah, PMT have awesome stock. They had a full Orange setup...so I bought the head and one cab. Now im after the other cab, but I noticed when I went to look at it that its been bashed about a bit since I first saw it. So I basically asked for new stock, can't see anything wrong with that. They don't seem happy to let me know a price on new stock!

And my Jazz is actually deposited at PMT, but they had to send the first one back to finish problems. Been waiting for a fair while now. Just getting a little disappointed.

Electromusic for me too.

I have had a problem with goods from there - they were stunningly quick in sorting it for me. Better knowing that than never having a problem if you see what I mean.

In Leeds - the Nothern Guitar Centre opp Music Ground sometimes has something interesting in at a good price but that's about all it has going for it.

Music Ground itself is useful at times rather than good.

Galaxy Music in Castleford is getting a good rep. , mainly from guitar players though. The Rock Factory in Cas. is always worth a look though never partic great for bass players.

I haven't been in Spectresound in Bingley for ages but it was always a fave - probably nostalgia from the good old days when it was JSG. Climbing over loads of Marshall valve tops and finding a dozen 70's Fender basses etc. Happy days.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='438139' date='Mar 18 2009, 11:30 AM']...I haven't been in Spectresound in Bingley for ages but it was always a fave - probably nostalgia from the good old days when it was JSG. Climbing over loads of Marshall valve tops and finding a dozen 70's Fender basses etc. Happy days.[/quote]

This was one of my main haunts but it's been closed down for a good few months now. I bought 3 basses there over the years.

Been a long time customer at Electro, though the last deal I did with Dave (mail order), I got the feeling that I'd been given a bit of a bum deal. Got a BODxt from him at a decent price, thinking it was a brand new one, but actually got the shop demonstrator. Saying that, I have done a few good deals with him and others in the shop. The guitar dept. guys are pretty good too.

Wouldn't buy anything from Music Ground. Ever.

Northern Guitars (accross the road) do have some interesting gear in from time to time, kicking myself about an Aria Pro II SB Black & Gold (Cliff Burton circa Master of Puppets) I missed out on a few years back. Good price too.

Wizard Guitars formerly of Doncaster, but now resident in Sheffield is good for the odd interesting bass now and again. Last time I was in there (quite a few months back) he had a 70's Gibson Grabber and a few nice old Fender's. Better for guitars of all price points.

Rock Factory in Cas have some decent gear in sometimes.