Why become a member? ×

Sterling by Musicman Stingray 5 roasted maple

miles'tone

Anyone here got one or played one? Are they as good as they look? I see the black ones have mahogany bodies, wonder if they're using the cheaper therefore lighter mahogany varieties? 

I get that they're the same price as a used regular American SR5 but there doesn't seem to be that much difference these days. They do look very well made. I would love to go and try one out but can't due the present County lockdown (and incoming full Welsh lockdown).

Ray35_BK_Front_web_800x.png

Ray35PB_TBKS_R2_Front_web_600x.png

Edited by miles'tone

I feel your pain. I live in Monmouthshire and although we're not locked down currently, we will be from 6pm Friday. 

I've not played one of these but Ive owned a couple of the new US Specials and one is my main bass now. Music Man seems to have really upped their game recently so I'd imagine you'd get quite a lot of bang for buck from these. 

• Thanks 1

No experience of playing any with the roasted maple necks but did have a black cherryburst Ray35 which had a mahogany body and was lighter than the ash bodied honeyburst Ray35 I had at the same time. 

Logic says go for a used USA one but I was happy owning the offshore ones (having owned the full fat USA ones previously) They looked, played and gigged much the same. 

There was a natural Ray 35 with the roasted neck for sale here at the start of the year which I really wanted. Looked ace. Unfortunately I was flat broke and couldn’t get anything of mine shifted at the time. 

62A80EF9-B1E8-4F44-9BCC-B7F4B7DF8B6F.png

Edited by dub_junkie
  • Thanks 1