Why become a member? ×

Tax and duty on instruments when we leave the EU

ProfJames

4 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

My wife has been having trouble getting hold of her medications, numerous ones for a chronic illness, and HRT. In her case, the consequences could be dramatic if any become unavailable.

Yes, my wife had a shortage of one of her drugs for about a month, luckily she had a few left over but by the time she managed to get some stocks had gone. And you can't really stockpile prescription drugs.

23 hours ago, ProfJames said:

What will be the repercussions?  UK prices will increase because of the Tax and duty applicable if you source from the EU.........

The answer is that nobody, at this point, knows. 

The EU are playing politics over a trade deal based on some bizarre "proximity of geography" that means they want our fish and won't allow state aid to industry to do a deal similar to the Canadian deal where no such access to Canadian waters or restrictions on state aid apply. In return the UK government are asking for what they had when we were members of the club, and we can't reasonably expect that.

Short term, if there was something I think I'll need to buy in January I would be hedging my bets and buying it now.

Long term we may find that non EU sourced stuff is cheaper than it is at the moment compared to the EU imports we currently rely on.  More importantly long term we may actually develop some degree of self sufficiency. 

I'm also no economist, but when I was in sales the price of the product had as much to do with how much the customer was prepared to pay as it did with how much it cost to make.  We had EU sourced products that were traded free of import duty, and US products that cost more to ship and we had to apply duty.  The products that sold with the highest margins were the ones that had unique selling features and where we incorporated them into systems and added value to the customer, not necessarily the ones that were from the EU.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Al Krow said:

I am sorry to hear that.

But what is your concern about medication - I'm not aware of any plans to abolish free prescriptions?

I pay a charge for my prescription.

I am concerned that imported medication (along with other imports) will suffer delays. 

That is likely, given that there is no way that the necessary customs and excise software has been tested properly in the time available, and that the training can't be begun for most users before December, and that any faults in the software will have one month - with public holidays - to be fixed and retested before the whole system goes live.

So yes, I am sure there will be delays.

Meanwhile, those who already have lots of money will be able to short sterling.

16 hours ago, alyctes said:

Meanwhile, those who already have lots of money will be able to short sterling.

Most people who have investments (and I include most private pensions in that) should have a diversified global portfolio,  That means that for example any stocks they hold in US and Asia will increase in relative value if the pound falls.  It's not necessary to short sterling if your investments are well chosen.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, alyctes said:

That is likely, given that there is no way that the necessary customs and excise software has been tested properly in the time available, and that the training can't be begun for most users before December, and that any faults in the software will have one month - with public holidays - to be fixed and retested before the whole system goes live.

Presumably it will be exactly the same software that the use if stuff is imported from non EU countries at the present time. Or am I missing something?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

No, these are completely new systems for transfering stuff from europe.

SAP, Oracle, Sage, Netsuite............all of their systems are capable of transacting in multiple currency, VAT and invoicing.  It is compliance that is the issue I believe

• Like 1