Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Gio GAXB Upgrade - headless

ROBR

I wanted a medium scale headless bass for just slinging in the car when I am out and about.

This GIO came up £100  - so maybe a little expensive, but in good condition.

So new bridge (hohner), pick up Kent Armstrong, hard ware - black, new switch series/parallel, tone circuit, finger ramp - I am in the process of making a new one.

Frets levelled, neck refinished, new strings.

The Gio went from a neck heavy bass to now better balanced on a strap, and plays ok, vs Plek'd SR1400 - so maybe I am not really comparing like to like there.

Same weight  - bridge is soooo heavy.

Nice bass now - but still only worth - £100 quid, oh well - next project.

Rob

120160561_10223748158997029_1876003301645155528_o.jpg

• Like 4

The Geek - if you haven;t used a router before, I would buy a cheap bass and practice first.  It's very easy to make a mess, ( I got a carpenter to do that bit) and check out different string holders for the head. The cheap ones are intended for guitars, so wont take a full E string binding/diameter, and can easily break a bass string.  (That's why I had to put posts in and put a single string wind in before the holder/clamp).

Andy  "enough" - yep your right, I would have preferred the red or black version to start on but, this marble came up close and cheap so.... 

The trouble is this is a laminate coating, so to get the coating off to repaint would be a nightmare.  Laminate because the body is made up of three pieces of wood,  a hard mahogany type, a composite ?? More glue than wood, and a soft wood (pine ???).   So Pea it's not made of marble, although it does weigh a ton.

BassApp. For the mark king look I would need about another 30 knobs and switches, but yep I know what you mean. thanks

• Like 1