Why become a member? ×

Lemmy’s earlier Rickenbacker

Spewy

1 hour ago, 4000 said:

Given the amount of work to be done I don’t think you should have worried too much about hidden horrors. You’d have been replacing most of the stuff that could have gone wrong anyway. You're replacing the fingerboard and frets and the rods are easily replaced, even without taking the board off.  

Are you faking the skunk stripe? 

Has to! Please....

Not sure what happened there!

Yes, the stripes going in along with all the extra holes marks and imperfections. This is my retirement present to myself , I reckon I’ve earned it!

I don’t disagree with you at all but  I’m yet to find a 4001 for anything like the money I picked the 4003 up for and even then am uneasy with using a 45yr old instrument as a base. If it was going to be a wall decoration or a play at home thing then I may have a made a different decision. I need this to be a reliable, gigging instrument, and it’s nice sometimes to be the first to play something 😁

4 hours ago, Spewy said:

Not sure what happened there!

Yes, the stripes going in along with all the extra holes marks and imperfections. This is my retirement present to myself , I reckon I’ve earned it!

I don’t disagree with you at all but  I’m yet to find a 4001 for anything like the money I picked the 4003 up for and even then am uneasy with using a 45yr old instrument as a base. If it was going to be a wall decoration or a play at home thing then I may have a made a different decision. I need this to be a reliable, gigging instrument, and it’s nice sometimes to be the first to play something 😁

No, that’s cool, it’s your project! 

• 2 weeks later...

Well the bass has arrived at the luthiers, I’m getting a little bit excited now😁

After a bit of thought we are going to put in a Bartolini neck pup. 

Im struggling to identify the correct knobs at the moment, most pictures I have just don’t show them clearly enough. 

Edited by Spewy

21 minutes ago, Spewy said:

Does the bridge sit further back on a 4001 to a 4003 or is the tail piece just slightly longer?

No different, so far as I’m aware. I wouldn’t use Lemmy’s as a benchmark either way.

EDIT - IIRC your bass has the new Ric bridge on, which is very recent and does indeed sit slightly differently, so I’m led to believe. I haven’t seen one in the flesh yet. 

FWIW the shape of your bass is different too, the horns are slimmer, amongst other small detail changes. Your bass isn’t ‘just’ a 4003. 4003 basses have changed a lot over the years, and yours is the most recent update, just as the details of the 4001 basses changed over the years.

Edited by 4000

Just now, Spewy said:

There just seems to be a larger space behind in on my one.D585AA93-C931-408E-B730-DBEEEEB88BED.thumb.jpeg.6445fff69aff2c93a2b49faaec4f1f79.jpeg

See my post above. 

The bridge isn’t the same. Your bass has the very, very long-awaited updated bridge, which, tailpiece shape aside, is very different to the previous one. 

If you want the same bridge/tailpiece in the same place he had, you may, depending on the placement of the routes underneath the bridge, run into problems. I haven’t seen under the new bridge so I don’t know what the routing is like, but with the older bridge if you try and move it you risk uncovering the routing underneath.
Things like this, the shape etc are more reasons why I would’ve sourced a period correct bass, although I understand you reasoning for not doing so. 

Edited by 4000

To be honest, unless you really pay attention or a have particular interest, it’s just stuff you pick up over time. I’ve been playing/collecting Rics for 40 years now and there’s still stuff that’s new to me.

The best thing to do whenever you start any sort of project is do as much research as possible before you commit, that way there are fewer surprises along the way. 

I have sourced the knobs, however as I don’t have the bass to hand it’s quite hard to work out the sizes. They come is four sizes.

1. 1 1/8” Top 1 1/2” skirt

2 1 1/8” Top 1 3/4” skirt

3. 1 3/8” top 1 1 3/4” skirt

4. Top size not shown 2.06” skirt

I think this is the correct chicken head too if the white stripe is removed 

23853FD4-7ACF-4BBE-B7E8-2527F736F220.jpeg

C64E0C8B-644F-46C0-A9B2-45EC0B70247D.jpeg