Why become a member? ×

EBS Octabass Blue Label vs Boss OC2 (Japan)

ReeV0

Hi all,

I'm trying to decide between these two octave pedals. I'm looking for one that can track to the low E (standard tuning), can handle slap and that is polyphonic.

To my ears these sound very similar, and very good. Which one would you pick?

Edited by jjl5590

Well, neither of those is polyphonic, so if that is important, you may need to look at the OC-3 or newer OC-5 (or some other brands).

As for tracking, the Octabass is much better than the OC-2, but tracking to low E is always challenging. The Octabass does it better than the OC-2 and so does the MarkBass Octave (the older bigger one), but to go that low you need to clean up your technique and probably playing a bit with EQ/compression before the pedal will help... but the OC-2 has a particular sound, so if you want THAT sound the Octabass is not going to be the right one either.

The only thing that I've come across that tracks effortlessly and at speed down to a low E is the Boss SY-1. It's also polyphonic. But it's a very transparent octave down, and you may want something with more flavour - or alternatively add a bit of grit with a dirt pedal of choice.

Oh and octave down is just a "side effect" for the SY-1. It does a huge amount else as its main focus. 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

Most analogue octave pedals are going to struggle getting a clean note below around a low A.They are also mostly monophonic.  If you definitely need polyphony and super low tracking, you need to look at a digital pedal really. Personally, I think that octave pedals sound the best playing single notes around the middle and upper ranges of the bass, because they can start to sound muddy otherwise. 

Both the EBS and the OC2 are great. The EBS is maybe cleaner and not as synthy as the Boss, but the OC2  has that classic sound and that killer sub. I prefer both of them to any of the digital octaves that I've got.

• Like 1

I’m with Doddy on this - OC-2 all the way. If you want polyphony then look at zoom stuff- they’ll all do polyphonic octaves and pitch shifting for less than a ton in a couple of cases.

You could even set up a patch with a heavy compression before it to give it a helping hand.