Why become a member? ×

LINE 6 instead of an amp?

TGEvans

I would like to know if anyone out there uses a bass pod or any other form of processor direct to pa for gigging? I have a bass pod pro xt floor unit and use it straight for recording but would like to know what they are like live in a band setting.any info much appreciated,tim

[quote name='TGEvans' post='434946' date='Mar 14 2009, 10:58 PM']I would like to know if anyone out there uses a bass pod or any other form of processor direct to pa for gigging? I have a bass pod pro xt floor unit and use it straight for recording but would like to know what they are like live in a band setting.any info much appreciated,tim[/quote]

Last week i used my POD X3 live for the first time and it wasn't the best experience. During the sound the check the engineer complained that the signal was too hot, and indeed it was distorted. The volume had to stay at 12 o'clock, anything more than that got distorted.

The second issue was that the monitor i was using couldn't handle the bass and made cracking noises throughout the gig. This obviously wasn't helping my playing as i couldn't
hear myself properly.

I would assume that most of the issues i experienced were caused by the engineer and not by the pod. Thing is, I dont have my own engineer and i have to work with whatever
is available at the club (these engineers are usually not the sharpest tools in the shed).

I love my pod for recording but i would not recommend it for live gigs unless you are working with your own engineer.

A great idea but only if you always have a good PA with good monitors and are willing to cede control of your stage sound. Personally I like the consistency of always playing through the same rig, it removes a critical variable which in turn tends to make gigs go better - but then my cabs sound very nice and are very easy to move!

Alex

The pod by itself to me always sounded a little bit lacking. However if your just trying to downsize then a line6 studio 110 plugs directly into the PA and the PA nearly always sounds just like the amp BEFORE people start faffing with the signal. Chuck in the fact that the Amp still stays active so you basically have your own personal monitor and your well away!

[quote name='TGEvans' post='434946' date='Mar 14 2009, 10:58 PM']I would like to know if anyone out there uses a bass pod or any other form of processor direct to pa for gigging? I have a bass pod pro xt floor unit and use it straight for recording but would like to know what they are like live in a band setting.any info much appreciated,tim[/quote]

Works for Meshuggah - both guitars and bass go Line 6 -> PA.

[quote name='Dan_Nailed' post='440819' date='Mar 21 2009, 05:36 AM']Works for Meshuggah - both guitars and bass go Line 6 -> PA.[/quote]

Yeah but they probably have their own pro gear that comes along especially to support this setup. In ear monitors, and stage monitors that can keep up with the bass.

As far as i understand, your generic and most common stage monitors are not designed to play only bass, very loud and for two hours non stop.

I mean, i love my pod to bits. If i had the option to get myself an active Monitor that is capable of holding these frequencies for long periods and be very loud at the same time,
i would go for it over any amp/cab combination. But these sort of options are left for bands like Meshuggah, who have the budget and the people to carry and engineer this stuff
for them.

[quote name='Dan_Nailed' post='440819' date='Mar 21 2009, 05:36 AM']Works for Meshuggah - both guitars and bass go Line 6 -> PA.[/quote]
haha they use vettas though which are the grand daddys of line 6 stuff and are going back to proper amps now. They also have they're own sound engineers

all the times i've heard people using line 6 pod xts live they've sounded terrible

[quote name='umph' post='441278' date='Mar 21 2009, 08:01 PM']haha they use vettas though which are the grand daddys of line 6 stuff and are going back to proper amps now. They also have they're own sound engineers

all the times i've heard people using line 6 pod xts live they've sounded terrible[/quote]

Actually when I saw them the last few times they haven't used any extra monitoring, just the usual wedges that the venues usually have in-house. The singer had in-ears but the other guys didn't, and no side fills either.

I've seen about 6 people use POD XT's, half were using the floorboard model and the others had rack units. Only two of those times did they sound good, mainly because the players knew how to actually set the patches up and had some understanding of how mixing works. So it is definitely possible.

Most stage monitors are 12"s and not much different from the 12"s in backline instruments, there's only so many ways to make a speaker anyway, and while they can't exactly hack kick drums for prolonged periods I have had many a synth go through one. Just roll a little bottom off the monitor and all's well.

Edited by Dan_Nailed

I used to use a rack pod for my main monitoring system. The DI went to the PA and I had my IEMs coming from the pod to my lugoles. The first time I set it up wrong - plugging in the headphones engages 'studio' mode automatically, adjusting a few things (can't remember what now) and this threw me a bit. After I had it sorted and made myself a live patch which was pretty much clean, it worked brilliantly.

So much so that I replaced it with the Roland Vbass which is similar but works better for me, but the end result is the same. With this kind of setup though you can pretty much guarantee your studio sound live - at least in your ears - the rest is up to the soundman.

Cheers
ped

We do just this very thing.

Both guitarists run Pod XT Live's straight to Desk. I resisted that last degree of digitisation and run to a bass preamp then straight to Desk.

Yes... you do cede all control to the soundman, but build a rapport and its never been an issue for us (been doing this arrangement for about 5 years now). Also, it lets the guy who can hear it all do the balance.
In terms of monitors, yes, you are dependent upon them, but thats fine by me. I vastly prefer it to having the monitor and backline fighting it out and giving me a headache.
The other thing is that the stage volume comes RIGHT down. You can hear stuff happen, and at a comfortable volume.
The other + is that you take up FAR less space as a band. As a 6 piece this was very important to us.

In terms of the patches distorting, we've never had a problem. The patches supplied are pants (IMO) but some subtle changes can yield excellent results. You need to set up the patches when playing through a PA though. The transient response of the PA is completely different to amp/headphones. The settings you come up with sound completely OTT through headphones - but put them through the PA and all sounds great.

All in all its been a revelation and we won't be going back to amp stacks any time soon!

Good luck