Why become a member? ×

Belated NBD SRH500

stewblack

I waited before sharing my impressions of this until the cheque had cleared, and I'd had a chance to play it in the context of a band rehearsal.

Not an unfamiliar bass to many of you I'm sure, but for those who don't know it, it has a lightweight chambered body with a slim neck (jazzy at the nut), and at first glance has no pick ups. In fact it uses the AeroSilk Piezo bridge system which utilizes an active tone control and leaves the front face with a beautiful clean look. The knobs are like little wooden hats of the type favoured by Welsh women on spinning wheels. Particularly tiny Welsh women.

The bass is insanely easy to play, and hangs from the strap heavy as a gossamer net of feathers. On the moon. The end of the f-hole provides a thumb anchor for those who require such things (I used it probably 50% of the time) but the real eye (ear?) opener is the sound. Supplied strung with D'Addario ECB81 Flatwounds I assumed I was buying an acoustic sounding bass with a nice percussive thump. I was so wrong. I have never known a bass strung with flats to sparkle so brightly. I reversed the onboard tone all the way and still had to knock off the treble on the amp. This thing has zing!

Now, I always thought I was rubbish playing slap bass, and to be fair I am pretty awful at it. However when I took my thumb to the SRH500 I was magically transformed into the illegitimate offspring of Larry Graham and Mark King. I am quite serious here, a semi with flats and the tone rolled off slapped and popped with more zap and kapowww than the liveliest Stingray, the jazziest Jazz or the twangiest Warwick. Not that it didn't suit mellow fingerstyle too. Just ease off, play softly and the warmth is definitely there.

I've said before while reviewing an instrument that my acid test is to pose this question: If this was the only bass I was left with would I be happy to go out and gig with it for the rest of my days? A resounding 'hell yes' to that. Which surprised me. I bought it because let's face it, it's a thing of beauty. I thought it might have a distinctive sound which I could use on certain recordings or in very specific, more stripped back, musical environments. Don't be fooled by it's disarming looks and gentle beguiling contours. This is a true all rounder, with a potent attack, resolute defence and very creative midfield. What's that? Shut up and put up the pictures? OK OK...

untitled shoot-140.jpg

untitled shoot-141.jpg

untitled shoot-142.jpg

untitled shoot-143.jpg

untitled shoot-147.jpg

Edited by stewblack
Typo sweep
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I’ve been browsing these for a while and I missed the sale of this , in your opinion would you say they are suitable for for heavy reggae or are they too bright 

Only played at one rehearsal and spent the evening taming the top end. But it's a versatile beast and I see no reason why not. Once I've played it a little longer I'll let you know. 

EDIT : @Reggaebass Spent a happy time with some reggae backing tracks this evening. 

Even with my best reggae amp going through a Barefaced 15 and getting the preamp just right, I wouldn't recommend this bass with these strings for really heavy dub. 

If you want something more pop like say Aswad, then it does a fine job. But for big warm throbbing it's just too articulate. Sure you can roll the tone off but that just chokes it. 

Different strings maybe, but these are flats so 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Edited by stewblack
  • Like 1