Why become a member? ×

Pete Way dead 😮

dave_bass5

On 15/08/2020 at 12:21, Old Man Riva said:

Saw UFO for the first time in 1978 at Birmingham Town Hall as a 15 yr old.

It was such an exciting experience, and a benchmark for live gig experiences for years to come. It was the ‘classic’ line up and they were a band right on top of their game.

That they should have achieved more commercial success - and the reasons they didn’t - have been well documented over the years, but them and AC/DC (Bon era) were the only rock bands I knew that my punk mates also loved at the time.

I think a lot of rock fans at the time were somehow suspicious of them - a bit “flash”, a bit “London”, not quite as down and heavy as, say, Sabbath or Purple. But that was part of the attraction for me. They were the first band I saw in the flesh that really looked like rock stars, in a way that Bowie, or the Stones or the Faces did on TV.

And then there was the bass player...

image.thumb.jpeg.9569580ed5d899564ec255d2192ee15d.jpeg

Terrific photograph 👍🏻

• Like 1

On 16/08/2020 at 14:29, MacDaddy said:
On 15/08/2020 at 20:48, Beedster said:

Have a listen mate, it’s cliche 80’s rock in some respects but there’s definitely something a bit special going on

That's the benefit of hindsight, at the time it was neither clichéd, nor 80's rock.

Well if it was, it was ahead of it's time in '79...

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...