Why become a member? ×

Audio cables?

MacDaddy

Hi all! I need a bit of advice on audio connections.

The outs on my audio converter are 1/4" jack.

The ins on my (powered) studio monitors are 1/4 jack & RCA.

Does it matter which I use? So either, jack to jack lead (would a short guitar lead do?), or jack to RCA?

Cheers!

Electrically there's no difference, but jack leads would probably be more robust. Assuming they'll be plugged in and stay there, it's worth getting good quality stuff, without going to the ridiculous extremes of 'snake oil' cables.

29 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

If there's a provision for RCA (phono...) plugs, the inputs are unlikely to be balanced. Knowing make/model of both interface and monitors would help confirmation. B|

Samson Resolv 65a active studio monitors, and Zoom TAC 2R Thunderbolt Audio Converter.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

AS someone that makes cables,. I would  go jack-jack. The outer on a phono plgb  is very variable in the amount of force it imparts to the socket. I have had good brand's plugs that either barely touch the outer connection of the socket or are so tight you risk damaging the socket or its mounting if you force it. Add the fact the the jack inputs are TRS/Balanced amd it is a no-brainer. 

On 08/08/2020 at 20:33, TwoTimesBass said:

Yes, both are balanced so you need TRS jacks and suitable cable, something like this https://directcablesystems.com/professional-stereo-jack-to-jack.html

Thwey look like good cables at a good price (almost too good) however the delivery charges look a bit steep.

5 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

Thwey look like good cables at a good price (almost too good) however the delivery charges look a bit steep.

Yes, delivery is pricey if you're only buying on-off cables, it's the same price for up to 30kg. They supply some of the big PA companies, i was recommended them as an alternative to VDC when we were doing a big cable order.

20 hours ago, skidder652003 said:

I would avoid the cheap ones, not just  from Lynx, but any that have moulded plugs. That means no screening you cannot see the quality of the workmanship. The dearer ones should be OK.

Edited by Chienmortbb
changed emphasis