Why become a member? ×

Mix GK cabs 410RBH with 115RBX or vice versa

KASH

[quote name='KASH' post='433645' date='Mar 13 2009, 01:57 PM']Does mixing 2 different GK cabs (410RBH with 115RBX or vice versa) affects the sound in a positive or negative way? Any thoughts on mixing cabs?[/quote]

Ah ha! This is an old favourite (try searching this sub-forum for similar posts - there are many). :)

Just to save you several hours of your life that you'll never have again, here's a quick synopsis of what [i]may[/i] happen next:

Some will say it's perfectly acceptable and sounds fine. Others will say it's a bad idea because they feel you shouldn't mix driver sizes and it will sound awful.

If you're very lucky (or unlucky), a few experts will get into a flame war using terms incomprehensible to many. At this point, your thread may move somewhat off-topic.

Coming back to planet Earth, it may be suggested you sell your 4x10 and instead stack a column of 2 2 x10 cabs on their sides for 'enhanced dispersion' and to 'minimise comb filtering'. Someone else will point you at their 2x12 cab in the 'for sale' section on the grounds that it's better than a 4x10.

Just when you're losing the will to live, you'll get a suggestion that you just give it a try and see what you think of the sound, while ensuring that you comply with connection and impedance recommendations when running multiple cabs (see sticky).

I'd go with the latter.

AHAHAH that's an insightful reply! :rolleyes:

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='433681' date='Mar 13 2009, 02:19 PM']Ah ha! This is an old favourite (try searching this sub-forum for similar posts - there are many). :)

Just to save you several hours of your life that you'll never have again, here's a quick synopsis of what [i]may[/i] happen next:

Some will say it's perfectly acceptable and sounds fine. Others will say it's a bad idea because they feel you shouldn't mix driver sizes and it will sound awful.

If you're very lucky (or unlucky), a few experts will get into a flame war using terms incomprehensible to many. At this point, your thread may move somewhat off-topic.

Coming back to planet Earth, it may be suggested you sell your 4x10 and instead stack a column of 2 2 x10 cabs on their sides for 'enhanced dispersion' and to 'minimise comb filtering'. Someone else will point you at their 2x12 cab in the 'for sale' section on the grounds that it's better than a 4x10.

Just when you're losing the will to live, you'll get a suggestion that you just give it a try and see what you think of the sound, while ensuring that you comply with connection and impedance recommendations when running multiple cabs (see sticky).

I'd go with the latter.[/quote]

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='433681' date='Mar 13 2009, 02:19 PM']Ah ha! This is an old favourite (try searching this sub-forum for similar posts - there are many). :)

You've just saved 43 gb on the Basschat server. Good man!

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='434005' date='Mar 13 2009, 06:21 PM']I am sure somebody asked this before. The specs for the RBX cabs are not published but for the RBH the 4x10 is 3dB louder and goes 9Hz deeper so I cant understand wht anybody would buy the 115.[/quote]
It was you that asked it before. Does not matter how many times you ask, I will give the same answer. It might also save some precious space on the server if you dont keep asking the same questions :)

epic

[quote name='KASH' post='433645' date='Mar 13 2009, 09:57 AM']Does mixing 2 different GK cabs (410RBH with 115RBX or vice versa) affects the sound in a positive or negative way? Any thoughts on mixing cabs?[/quote]It's impossible to predict what mixing different cabs will do, and that's the main argument against so doing unless you've tried the specific combination to be sure you like it.