Why become a member? ×

Best affordable compression pedal?

ash_sak

Well after my baptism of fire with fx pedals i have realised that getting a compression pedal could make it easier for me when recording stuff, both acoustic and electric bass cause the levels jump about all over the place.

As you lot will've been messing with compression and tried and tested pedals i was wondering if you could suggest a cheap/affordable pedal.

Lets say i have a budget of...50 quid for a 1st or 2nd hand pedal.

I have a Behringer Limiter, which works fine (bought from one of you lot) but it's not quite what i'm looking for.
I just want a better quality pedal, and one with as little background noise as possible (which i've heard is a downfall with compression)

Quite a lot of demands for 50 quid but if you lot could make some suggestions it'd be great.

I've looked (online) as stuff like the CS-3 and Ashdown Dual Compression but apparently they both suffest from excess background noise.

Thanks.

[quote name='Hamster' post='433021' date='Mar 12 2009, 11:19 PM']Quick answer - buy a BBE OptoStomp[/quote]

Just bought one of these £55 BIN on the bay.....I hope you are right.

It's coming from Liverpool - I do hope it gets here before next Wednesday!!

[quote name='Twigman' post='433427' date='Mar 13 2009, 11:37 AM']Just bought one of these £55 BIN on the bay.....I hope you are right.

It's coming from Liverpool - I do hope it gets here before next Wednesday!![/quote]

I was thinking of buying the very same pedal.
Oh well, i'll hunt down another one.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='434279' date='Mar 13 2009, 11:44 PM']Apparently the Boss CS-3 with [url="http://www.monteallums.com/pedal_mods.html#cs3optoPlus"]Monte Allum's mod[/url] applied is actually pretty stellar.

There's a UK contact on [url="http://www.monteallums.com/pedal_mod_parts.html"]this page[/url] if you'd need someone to do it for you.[/quote]

Has anyone ever tried to mod. a pedal?
And if so is it easy, as in really easy, cause i haven't used a souldering iron for...about 4 years.

[quote name='ash_sak' post='434332' date='Mar 14 2009, 02:26 AM']Has anyone ever tried to mod. a pedal?
And if so is it easy, as in really easy, cause i haven't used a souldering iron for...about 4 years.[/quote]

On a pedal with surface-mounted components, no, it's not easy, there's no room for ****-ups. You'd be better off getting someone else to do it.

On older pedals it's often pretty easy though.

[quote name='clauster' post='434631' date='Mar 14 2009, 02:44 PM']There's a few of us on here that have done the CS3 mod. I managed it just fine and that was while consuming six cans of lager.[/quote]

alright, i might check it out.
Infact, i keep forgetting this, i know a guy who fixes guitars n stuff so if i can't do it i imagine they can.

Given there are loads of people offering CS-3 mods. i dont get why Boss dont just upgrade the necessary parts on their pedal

I tried a CS3 (unmodded) last night & it's one noisy muvva! Think I wont be bothering with a compressor as all it seems to do is add noise.
I knew the unmodded would remove some bass but this was a surprise when the 7th fret A string had more bass than an open E (much more).
& as for the sustainer feature, I think you'd need some verrrrry high end gear to be able to use that (makes it pointless really).
Just my opinion on compressors after wanting one for so long.

[quote name='Currrls' post='437432' date='Mar 17 2009, 03:54 PM']does the BBE do a decent job of compressing slap bass?[/quote]

I very rarely slap (and im no good at it anyway) but considering i play 90% with a pick so have the input gain quite high on my amp, when i do slap it still doesn't light the overload light and does sound like its getting squashed the harder i play. Normal playing you wouldnt know it was there. For me it was ideal and way better than my old Aphex PF
Make of that what you will

[quote name='Currrls' post='437432' date='Mar 17 2009, 03:54 PM']does the BBE do a decent job of compressing slap bass?[/quote]

Depends what your definition of decent is? :) If you mean a really heavy compression then no - go for a modded CS-3 or a Trace Elliot comp.

If you mean very low noise and light to medium compression then yes, it does the job pretty well.

[quote name='Hamster' post='437558' date='Mar 17 2009, 05:10 PM']Depends what your definition of decent is? :) If you mean a really heavy compression then no - go for a modded CS-3 or a Trace Elliot comp.

If you mean very low noise and light to medium compression then yes, it does the job pretty well.[/quote]

And it is very quiet at sensible levels. Ive not noticed any hiss or pumping in normal use.