Why become a member? ×

recording to pc

Al Heeley

Any advice about best way to record guitar & bass to a pc? I am told line into soundcard mic or soundcard line in is useless for sound quality and latency, and that you need an external 'soundcard'(?) or usb guitar interface such as this available from maplins
[http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=222445]

I see line6 do a similar interface.
I only have a pretty standard soundcard built into my Dell motherboard. I have no idea if I need an 'external soundcard' but I'm assuming the above interface is not a soundcard?
I want to be able to record multitrack on the pc with synth drums/softsynth keyboard, bass, guitar, as well as use software such as Guitar Rig, etc. to model amps and effects. Any advice would be cool as I'm pretty much a novice at this thing.

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='432679' date='Mar 12 2009, 05:59 PM']I only have a pretty standard soundcard built into my Dell motherboard. I have no idea if I need an 'external soundcard' but I'm assuming the above interface is not a soundcard?[/quote]
There's a yes and a no to that question. It is; but its not what you need and is really for people who's only concern is getting a signal from their guitar to the PC.

[quote]I want to be able to record multitrack on the pc with synth drums/softsynth keyboard, bass, guitar, as well as use software such as Guitar Rig, etc. to model amps and effects. Any advice would be cool as I'm pretty much a novice at this thing.[/quote]
You're going to be after a good USB 2 or Firewire (take your pick) audio card. You don't need to spend a fortune; but should get something decent. Especially considering the money you'll be spending on sequencers, plugins and Guitar Rig. No point cheaping out on the interface.

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='432880' date='Mar 12 2009, 09:03 PM']if my pc soundcard is just a basic motherboard one its going to limit performance, latency and sound quality?[/quote]
To pick those three in order...

Yes very much so, yes indeed, and yes to an extent depending on what quality you're after and how "good" the card is.

From your aims, you sound pretty serious about doing all this so a proper audio interface will be the way to go. I'm afraid to say this, but you're probably also going to want some studio monitors (not the big things you use on stage) unless you have a good quality hi-fi you could run the output through. They say you should never mix through headphones, but there is that option if you had to.

Noone ever said all this computer recording/production lark was cheap; but it is fun.

Edited by Eight

I've got one of those [url="http://www.nevadamusic.co.uk/brands/Line_6/Software/sc1292/b1348/p7428.aspx"]http://www.nevadamusic.co.uk/brands/Line_6...1348/p7428.aspx[/url]

You can plug monitors straight into the unit so you don't get any latency in your sound playback, works the magic that bit of kit :)

You can avoid latency completely by monitoring outside of your PC. Simply split the in-going signal(s) two ways and route one to your soundcard input and the other to a hardware mixer. Run the outputs of the soundcard to the mixer as well, but don't have the inputs routed to the outputs within your recording app. Easy recording an zero latency worries. Of course a cheap soundcard won't have particularly good A/D converters or be necessarily well shielded from all the digital noise floating around in your computer...

[quote name='JackLondon' post='432899' date='Mar 12 2009, 09:18 PM']I've got one of those [url="http://www.nevadamusic.co.uk/brands/Line_6/Software/sc1292/b1348/p7428.aspx"]http://www.nevadamusic.co.uk/brands/Line_6...1348/p7428.aspx[/url]

You can plug monitors straight into the unit so you don't get any latency in your sound playback, works the magic that bit of kit :)[/quote]
I was looking at these units too, but wasn't sure if their performance would be throttled by my pc only having a basic onboard soundcard.

You would be better off with Firewire than USB because of the way the processing is handled.
I would go for the Edirol/Sonar audio interfaces - (Sonar Cakewalk use them, which is what I have) - they are VERY good. Seperate drivers, no mucking about, the works.
If you use USB and your PC and/or soundcard is even slightly off it's game you will just sign up for a world of latency pain.

[quote name='BassMunkee' post='433745' date='Mar 13 2009, 02:56 PM']You would be better off with Firewire than USB because of the way the processing is handled.
I would go for the Edirol/Sonar audio interfaces - (Sonar Cakewalk use them, which is what I have) - they are VERY good. Seperate drivers, no mucking about, the works.
If you use USB and your PC and/or soundcard is even slightly off it's game you will just sign up for a world of latency pain.[/quote]

Im going to agree and disagree on the firewire/USB debate. Yes, If your recording over 4-6 tracks youll need firewire to handle the data, but i've found anything under that even USB 1 seems to be quite happy.

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='433330' date='Mar 13 2009, 10:21 AM']I was looking at these units too, but wasn't sure if their performance would be throttled by my pc only having a basic onboard soundcard.[/quote]

It all depends I think, through this unit you just plug a guitar no amp nothing, I then use monitors to provide the sound and use the Line6 PodFarm to process the sound of different amps etc, to be honest it will not sound like professional studio but even with the lower end sound cards you can get what you want out of it, you just going to have to work 5 times harder for it :)