Why become a member? ×

Power valves

BottomEndian

Here's a question for the all-valve users out there...

I had the chance to try out an all-valve head the other night (my first time), and I was blown away by the tone. Simply awesome. It was a 70s Traynor YBA-series head, and it micturated upon my solid-state Peavey Max 700 from a great, great height. Lovely, lovely clean tones, and plenty of grind and rage in there when I cranked it up. It felt like the sound I'd been looking for. I'm a little bit in love. :blush:

So my question is this: how much of the tone of an all-valve head do you think comes from the power stage? Obviously there's a great deal of tone-shaping in the preamp stage, so I would assume that's where the majority of the tone is coming from. But feel free to disagree. (It was impossible to really tell on the Traynor -- it didn't have separate pre and power controls, just volume.)

And the reason for the question is that I'm getting hold of an 800W solid-state power amp for next to nothing, and wondering if a valve pre would give me enough of that magic -- maybe one of the DHA boxes? Or if I'd be horribly disappointed and weep for my lost love.

Yes, power tubes make a difference - and there are detectable differences between manufacturers versions of the same class of valve.

That said, circuitry plays a huge role in tone, but I'd argue that the foundation of the sound really comes from the valve type.

A valve power stage makes a huge difference to tone. Solid state amps with a valve in the pre tend to sound like solid state amps. I'd rather run a solid state pre and valve power than vice versa (but i'd prefer all valve over either).

[quote name='Seb_C' post='432527' date='Mar 12 2009, 03:14 PM']A valve power stage makes a huge difference to tone. Solid state amps with a valve in the pre tend to sound like solid state amps. I'd rather run a solid state pre and valve power than vice versa (but i'd prefer all valve over either).[/quote]

Who makes valve power amps?

The most radical tone shaper is a preamp, no doubt about it. In a Tube amp the V1 preamp tube will have the most effect on tone. But Tube power does have an impact that can't be ignored.

A tube pre into a solid state poweramp doesn't sound like a tube amp however tube-driven MOSFET style poweramps (such as an Ampeg SVT3 or SVT6 for example) are a lot closer in tone to an all-tube head IME.

However I ran an Ampeg SVP-PRO into a QSC PLX1602 for a long while and the tone wasn't far removed from a couple of SVT Classics and SVT2's I used...so I say give your tube pre/solid state power a go. It'll sound better than the Peavey anyway!

Edited by Dan_Nailed

Thanks for the advice and opinions, fellas.

[quote name='Dan_Nailed' post='433044' date='Mar 12 2009, 11:41 PM']...so I say give your tube pre/solid state power a go. It'll sound better than the Peavey anyway![/quote]
Farting through a straw would sound better than the Peavey. I used to have a lot of love for the Peavey, but we've drifted apart. Ultra-clean just doesn't do it for me any more.

I think I'll give the valve pre > SS power a whirl. If it sounds rubbish, I'll just have to save up the pennies for an all-valve. It's that simple.

An ALL valve amp sounds NOTHING like a valve pre & S.S. power amp... I wouldn't even BOTHER going that route- I did & wasted much $$$$, by having to sell & buy the real thing-ALL VALVE in the end. Haven't bought an amp since!!!!! U can ge some all tube amps at pretty good prices these days- look for 2nd hand Ampeg V4/V4B/V4BH, Yorkville YBA-2, Peavey VB-2, even older Marshall superbass are great amps!!! So are old All valve P.A. heads- I used a 150w (6CA7x6 tubes) PA head for yrs as a great bass head!!! paid about $400AUS- about 200UK lbs.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='432233' date='Mar 12 2009, 10:51 AM']Here's a question for the all-valve users out there...

I had the chance to try out an all-valve head the other night (my first time), and I was blown away by the tone. Simply awesome. It was a 70s Traynor YBA-series head, and it micturated upon my solid-state Peavey Max 700 from a great, great height. Lovely, lovely clean tones, and plenty of grind and rage in there when I cranked it up. It felt like the sound I'd been looking for. I'm a little bit in love. :blush:

So my question is this: how much of the tone of an all-valve head do you think comes from the power stage? Obviously there's a great deal of tone-shaping in the preamp stage, so I would assume that's where the majority of the tone is coming from. But feel free to disagree. (It was impossible to really tell on the Traynor -- it didn't have separate pre and power controls, just volume.)

And the reason for the question is that I'm getting hold of an 800W solid-state power amp for next to nothing, and wondering if a valve pre would give me enough of that magic -- maybe one of the DHA boxes? Or if I'd be horribly disappointed and weep for my lost love.[/quote]

Chris B is selling a DHA VTX-400-Bass on this site. Silly price!

It's an all valve pre-amp plus a low wattage valve power stage which then feeds a 400W SS amp. So you get both valve pre-amp and output valve tone but very loud.

Dave