Why become a member? ×

Midi Keyboard & Windows Vista

JPJ

Hi Folks,

Recently bought a Carillon Control 49 midi keyboard second hand which was working perfectly on the sellers Windows XP machine. I cannot get this thing to load on Windows Vista and all I get is a code 10 device cannot start error. I have tried two hotfixes available from Microsoft to no avail. Carillon went bust sometime ago as they were appparently part of the Sound Control setup.

Anybody know where I can get a driver for this keyboard for Vista?

Ta

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='428804' date='Mar 8 2009, 07:42 PM']Kev, do you need a USB driver?[/quote]

Yes Steve, its the USB driver I'm after. In my frustration, I missed that bit out of my earlier post!

[quote name='JPJ' post='428863' date='Mar 8 2009, 08:50 PM']Yes Steve, its the USB driver I'm after. In my frustration, I missed that bit out of my earlier post![/quote]
Hmmm. Unfortunately you might be out of luck if the XP driver doesn't work with Vista and the company went out of business before Vista was released.

However, just as a left field idea, it might be worth seeing if there's a common chipset between your keyboard and a make that is still in production perhaps? You never know, they might be cross compatible. Alternatively perhaps there is a WinXP emulator out there which you could install on a trial basis?

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='428914' date='Mar 8 2009, 10:24 PM']Ooh, and another thing, did you test the USB installation on your PC with all the other periperals unplugged? MIDI devices and webcams can sometimes be incompatible with each other for some reason.[/quote]

I tried it with only the keyboard hooked up and still no joy. According to a few internet searches, it seams the problem is actually with the Vista USB device driver which doesnt recognise midi keyboards very well. Apparently the Carillon is very similar to the M-Audio Oxygen 49, so I think I'll try the driver for that next.

So much for plug'n'play eh?

Do you have another midi interface? I would expect, if you take the midi out from the Carillon into the midi in of a Vista compatible midi interface then most of the important features would work i.e. the keys and assignable pots/faders etc. should still work.

I don't know that controller too well so couldn't guess what you'd be losing; but it might be an option for you.

[quote name='Eight' post='429078' date='Mar 9 2009, 09:18 AM']Do you have another midi interface? I would expect, if you take the midi out from the Carillon into the midi in of a Vista compatible midi interface then most of the important features would work i.e. the keys and assignable pots/faders etc. should still work.

I don't know that controller too well so couldn't guess what you'd be losing; but it might be an option for you.[/quote]

Cheers matey, thats my next port of call. I tried the Oxygen 49 driver which windows refused point blank to recognise, so my next thought was to abandon the USB port on the keyboard, get a midi interface with Vista drivers and try that. A quick trip to sounds live at lunchtime seems to be in order.

[quote name='YouMa' post='429017' date='Mar 9 2009, 07:32 AM']I use a lot of VST and VSTIs as far as i am aware there is no suitable driver for vista,to be honest if you are using a lot of music software i would save yourself the hassle and just switch back to xp.[/quote]

I'd love to switch back, but unfortunately the laptop isnt mine, it belongs to my work who have standardised on Vista.

[quote name='JPJ' post='429099' date='Mar 9 2009, 09:49 AM']Cheers matey, thats my next port of call. I tried the Oxygen 49 driver which windows refused point blank to recognise, so my next thought was to abandon the USB port on the keyboard, get a midi interface with Vista drivers and try that. A quick trip to sounds live at lunchtime seems to be in order.[/quote]
Soundslive's website isn't working for me at the minute but if I remember rightly the used to have E-mu interfaces - the X-midi devices have Vista drivers; and Maplin in town used to carry M-Audio stuff (in very low numbers) and I know there are 32-bit Vista drivers available for their midi interfaces.