Why become a member? ×

Help/Advice - Make my Passive a bit more 'Active'

NJE

Hello,

Apologies if something similar to this has been done, I did do a quick search.

[b]My Problem [/b]- I have an active five string Squier Jazz and a Fender Roscoe Beck V. The Fender is superb and the nicest bass I have owned or played but it does not quite have the bite and punch of the squier. I really like active basses but the the Fender is too good to sell and I dont want to butcher it so I need something that will give me that 'active' boost and flexibility, and some more guts and growl. The fender is very flexible but i find it a bit tame sometimes and the output is low so i have to change my amp setting when I swap basses.

I know of the normal outboard preamps like the Sadowsky and the EBS Microbass II, but after some looking around I have found a few other boxes with EQs and was wondering if they will all kinda do the same thing? I have never really payed much attention to pedals and this sort of thing so finding it all a bit bewildering at the moment. Just as a side note i dont mind if it does something esle e.g. headphone practice amp or adds some valve drive (I play in a Foo Fighters style rock band), but I would like it to give me that active clean kinda sound too. (sorry for being vague) If its something I can use with the squier too thats a bonus.

Here is the list of stomp boxes that I have found that seem to be offering what I want but I just dont know which is right:

1. EBS Microbass II - seems really nice and i like the headphone amp part
2. Sadowsky DI - seems basic for the money and there is no mid control
3. DHA VT1 EQ? - nice looking thing but seems to be a distrotion type pedal, will it give me clean-ish punch and flexibility?
4. Aguilar ToneHammer - again looks nice with a full EQ but there seems to be a focus on it giving that dirty valve tone, is it clean too?
5. MXR Bass EQ - Again! EQ but has this valve type drive thing
6. SansAmp Bass Driver - much talked about and hard to miss even for someone who doesnt pay much attention, any good?
7. Aphex bass Xciter - No EQ but makes an amazing difference if their website is to be believed.

If there are any more please suggest, i just want some opinions on what may be worth trying out and whats good value.

Thanks in advance,

Nathan

Edited by NJE

[quote name='Bigwan' post='426205' date='Mar 5 2009, 02:32 PM']Nearly died there I did... thought you were gonna hack up the RBV![/quote]

ha ha, not a chance its far too special, I love it more than anything. You well? do you still have the Stingray? dont worry wont be offended if you don't. :)

If you're changing bass regularly mid-gig, and having problems with a low output on one of them, maybe something simple like an MXR Micro Amp will do you. It's an 'on' switch and a volume knob, just a simple clean boost. You can set that up to boost your quiet bass to match the level of your louder one, just stomp on it when you swap!

[quote name='NJE' post='426178' date='Mar 5 2009, 02:12 PM'][...]
1. EBS Microbass II - seems really nice and i like the headphone amp part
2. Sadowsky DI - seems basic for the money and tehreis no mid control
3. DHA VT1 EQ? - nice looking thing but seems to be a distrotion type pedal, will it give me clean-ish punch and flexibility/
4. Aguilar ToneHammer - again looks nice with a full EQ but there seems to be a focus on it giving that dirty valve tone, is it clean too?
5. MXR Bass EQ - Again! EQ but has this valve type drive thing
6. SansAmp Bass Driver - much talked about and hard to miss even for someone who doesnt pay much attention, any good?
7. Aphex bass Xciter - No EQ but makes an amazing difference if their website is to be believed.
[...][/quote]

I tried or owned all of them apart from the DHA and the ToneHammer and in my opinion they are all very different devices. Each one of them has its own personality.

For instance the the Sadowsky DI, the Tech21 Bass Driver and the Aphex Xciter couldn’t be more different.

These are my comments about the devices you mentioned.

[b]1. EBS Microbass II[/b]
It is a very nice compact unit. A lot of flexibility and nice sounds. I would have liked a less function-rich device at a more affordable price.

[b]2. Sadowsky DI[/b]
If you look for the Sadowsky sound, it is the way to go. Unfortunately, the DI version of the Sadowsky preamp has an input impedance of 330k ohm. I would have liked an impedance of at least 1M ohm.

I had a quick chat with Roger Sadowsky a few years ago and he told me that the reason why his preamplifiers don’t have mid controls is that at the time he didn’t manage to find a preamplifier with mid control that sound as good as a 2-band preamp. Moreover, he said that if necessary mids can be controlled on the amp. I found difficult disagree.

It has very nice sounds but the lack of treble cut is something I don’t like.

[b]3. DHA VT1 EQ[/b]
I never tried it but I believe it is a pedal that gives a warm tube sound (with a little bit of saturation if necessary) to any combination of bass-pre-amp.

I read only positive things about DHA products. You may want to contact DHA to find out more about this product.

[b]4. Aguilar ToneHammer[/b]
I never tried it but I understand that it can go as clean as you want.

[b]5. MXR Bass EQ[/b]
I am not aware of the existence of the MXR Bass EQ. Are you referring to the Bass DI?

The Bass DI is a very nice unit. Good sounds but the distorted channel is not for me. I am sure a lot of bassists disagree but the bzzzz on the distortion is something I can live without.

[b]6. SansAmp Bass Driver[/b]
It has its own personality that a lot of people like. It cuts parts of the mids even in flat position. If you need a more active sound with some saturation it might be your ticket.

I prefer the more linear Tech21 ParaDriver.

[b]7. Aphex bass Xciter[/b]
Great pedal. It is always “on” my pedal board. It is a sound processor and it operates on the frequency spectrum and the dynamic range at the same time.

If you need saturation, look somewhere else. It is as clean as it gets – which is good.

I hope the above helps.

Edited by Silent Fly

Hi and firstly thanks,

mike257: that sound like an interesting option and one I will look at for sure.

Silet Fly: Wow thanks for the info, and yes the MXR DI was what I was thinking of. They all sound as if they may offer me something, and I suppose its a case of trying as many as possible. I have my eye on a Bass Xciter and from your comments and what I have heard I am tempted to get one without trying and like you said just leave it onpermanantly. So much to think about but think I am going to rule out the Sadowsky for now. I am sure it is superb but a huge amount of money just for a 2 band EQ and to be honest I dont think I will ever use the DI.

I think I may need to have a Sansamp/ebs/tonehammer shootout, but difficult to find somewhere with them all without travelling the width of the country. I just wish there was a way of testing the DHA because its a superb looking thing and has some great functions at a great price. so much to think about and not enough cash for them all.

If you don't need an EQ then look at the Electronix Submarine preamp. I would definitely look at the tone hammer as it's similar to the Aguilar preamps found in some active basses. If you're trying to get a clean modern punchy active sound then I would steer clear of the DHA and Sansamp stuff, which are better At copping warm slightly overdriven tube tones.

If all your missing is active level and EQ, then why don't you just use an EQ pedal. Use the volume to match the output level of your other bass, and use the EQ to match the active EQ on your other bass.

I kow lots of people have this problem and use all kinds of expensive pre-amps and DIs, so I must be missing something.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='426919' date='Mar 6 2009, 08:58 AM']If all your missing is active level and EQ, then why don't you just use an EQ pedal. Use the volume to match the output level of your other bass, and use the EQ to match the active EQ on your other bass. [...][/quote]

+1

[quote name='cheddatom' post='426919' date='Mar 6 2009, 08:58 AM']If all your missing is active level and EQ, then why don't you just use an EQ pedal. Use the volume to match the output level of your other bass, and use the EQ to match the active EQ on your other bass.

I kow lots of people have this problem and use all kinds of expensive pre-amps and DIs, so I must be missing something.[/quote]

Thats sounds like a good solution, I know Boss make one but are there any good ones in particular you could reccomend?

Many thanks.

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='428024' date='Mar 7 2009, 02:24 PM']If you play 2 basses in the same gig, then the Bassbone is worth a look too:

[url="http://www.tonebone.com/tb-bassbone.htm"]http://www.tonebone.com/tb-bassbone.htm[/url][/quote]

Nice one, happened to find a review of this in an old bass mag last night but not read it yet, will go dig it out now see what it does!

Thanks for all the help so far guys. I think I am sold on a Aphex Bass Xciter just for general use anyway but still reading and investigating all avenues.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='426919' date='Mar 6 2009, 08:58 AM']If all your missing is active level and EQ, then why don't you just use an EQ pedal. Use the volume to match the output level of your other bass, and use the EQ to match the active EQ on your other bass.

I kow lots of people have this problem and use all kinds of expensive pre-amps and DIs, so I must be missing something.[/quote]

+1

A bass exciter will excite both of your basses, so you'll probably still want something to level them out.

[quote name='NJE' post='428002' date='Mar 7 2009, 01:50 PM']Thats sounds like a good solution, I know Boss make one but are there any good ones in particular you could reccomend?

Many thanks.[/quote]

I have the boss one and it's fine. I've never tried another, an EQ is an EQ!! Although some "tone freaks" will go on about the quality of the buffer etc.

Thanks all,

I have been doing some investigation over the weekend (with your comments in mind) and found a few bits that I quite fancy. I would really like to give the preamps a go but they are a bit pricey at the moment so maybe when the finances look better I will have a go.

I am keeping my eyes pealed for a Boss EQ, I think that is a good sensible step and also looking around for a small gain booster pedal as well (see what comes up first and whats the cheapest) I read a review of a Homebrew electronics booster which looks like it will do what I need as far as increasing signal and also found a few more similar devices which are just one gain control and a switch.

I also have my eye on a BBE Sonic Stomp (maximiser) and the Aphex bass xciter to give my passive bass a bit more life as they have both had rave reviews. I think I can get most of these items used from various places so hopefully should be able to solve the problem for about £100 which is great considdering I was looking at £170 for the Aguilar and Sansamp etc.

Still welcoming any advice and comments on EQ pedals, (have anopther thread asking advice on the BBE and Aphex)

Thanks for all the commenst so far, big help.

[quote name='NJE' post='429153' date='Mar 9 2009, 11:09 AM']Thanks all,

I have been doing some investigation over the weekend (with your comments in mind) and found a few bits that I quite fancy. I would really like to give the preamps a go but they are a bit pricey at the moment so maybe when the finances look better I will have a go.

I am keeping my eyes pealed for a Boss EQ, I think that is a good sensible step and also looking around for a small gain booster pedal as well (see what comes up first and whats the cheapest) I read a review of a Homebrew electronics booster which looks like it will do what I need as far as increasing signal and also found a few more similar devices which are just one gain control and a switch.

I also have my eye on a BBE Sonic Stomp (maximiser) and the Aphex bass xciter to give my passive bass a bit more life as they have both had rave reviews. I think I can get most of these items used from various places so hopefully should be able to solve the problem for about £100 which is great considdering I was looking at £170 for the Aguilar and Sansamp etc.

Still welcoming any advice and comments on EQ pedals, (have anopther thread asking advice on the BBE and Aphex)

Thanks for all the commenst so far, big help.[/quote]
you could always look into making a active buffer in a stomp box? would effect the tone less and also give a low impedence

I have both the Tone Hammer and a programable Bass Driver.

The tone hammer is great for really clean sounds where it is distinctly your bass coming through. the PBDDI on the other hand colours you tone more, it adds the tube emulation and also with treble and bass both boosted it cuts mids which is a little annoying

well thanks to everyone for their comments.

I have been doing a lot of reading, listening and searching and also some tinkering with my amp and I fiddled with the bass and amp EQ and added some nice new strings and it all sounds better but still not quite there. So anyway i think I have made a decision on what to get.

I was really liking the look of the aguilar originally but for similar money the DHA VT1 EQ offers a little more ( I really would like a headphone amp) and after a PM to Dave himself i am pretty sure i am going to order one in the next couple of days. I like the warm valve tone and Dave has said it will do clean and dirt having used it for recording vocals in the past. I am also looking at getting a BBE sonic Stomp and a good compressor as my last amp had one built in and i do miss not having one. The DHA has an active EQ for a bit of boosting and cutting (not after slap tones or anything like that) and I can get a bit of drive out too so it seems like a good solution. I also feel comforted by the thought its from the UK and a small company with excellent customer service.

Anyway I will hopefully be adding to the board soon so will get a nice picture up in the post your boards when i am done. Just need a nice pedaltrain and some George L cables.......

Cheers